SKos
Accepted Solution

How to get wireless internet to my WRT54G router

I have a desktop computer wired via an Ethernet cable to a Linksys WRT54G router on a home network, which includes another desktop and a laptop, as well as a shared printer. The network shares files and printers flawlessly. Our condo receives wireless internet service through a half dozen routers located throughout our complex. There is no wired internet access available.

I can access the internet on my laptop and one of my desktop computers with no problems, however, when I attempt to access the internet on the desktop which is wired to the router, I get an error message that says:

"There is more than one active network connection on this computer.  Unplug or disable one of the active connections to try to solve the problem."

When I disconnect the ethernet cable to the router, the desktop (VISTA) can access the internet, but this leaves me without a home network.  I want to know how to access the internet using my WRT54G router, so that it will broadcast the internet wirelessly to all three of my computers.  I've been told this might be possible by using a Bridge.  Can anyone tell me the least expensive way to go about accomplishing my objective?  Any specific Linksys products that would work would be appreciated and/or some guidance as to how to go about setting up such a bridge or other system!

Thanks in advance,

Steve

DSE 1

Re: How to get wireless internet to my WRT54G router

You can have a Repeater Bridge & be wired on your home network.  DD-WRT.com  has a Firmware that will work the way that you want .  Also you can have a wireles virtual interface to your network with your wireless computers as a Repeater.
SKos

Thanks for the help.  I apologize for being such a newbie re this stuff, but I've searched the product catalog on the DD-WRT site for the terms Bridge, repeater bridge and firmware and nothing comes up.

Can you recommend the specific product I'll need from them?  Again, I appreciate the help!

Steve

binky

So basically you mean to say is, you dont have an ISP and you want to connect your Router to a Wireless Network and allow all your computers to go online Wired or Wirelessly?

If thats the senario, then its not possible to complite this task as your router will not connect to any other wireless network. In this case you need to get an Ethernet Bridge (WET54G, WET600N) which will do that work for you. 

The Bridge can connect to the Wireless network and then you can connect the Bridge to your Router and that will allow all your computers to go online wired or wirelessly. 

SKos

We DO have an internet service provider, it's just that they deliver the service wirelessly to all 48 units in our complex, so I can sign on to the internet from each of my computers with no problems unless the desktop (which is wired to my router) is plugged in with the Ethernet cord to the router.  With the cord plugged in, that desktop will not access the internet.  I get the error message shown above.

My other computers can all access the internet through the various routers the ISP has located throughout our condo complex.

What I want to do is to acquire the internet access to my one laptop or to my existing router, so that my home network can broadcast the internet and I can share internet access, files and printers across my home network.  What specific pieces of equipment, software or firmware will it take to work with my existing home network to get the job done?

binky

As your other computers are able to go online through the router, just only the problem with your Desktop computer. On your desktop computer first thing which you need to check if the Ehternet Card Drivers are properly installed or not and its Disable.

Click on Start - Run - type "devmgmt.msc" and click Ok... Now in the device manager list click on (+) before "Network Adapter" and check if you are able see your Ethernet Adapter Listed, If yes then right click on it and click on Properties and under Device Status check if the drivers are properly installed or not and its working?

Again on your Computer click on Start - Control Pannel - Network Connections - and under "Lan of High Speed Internet" check if you are able to see "Local Area Connection" and check if it displays you its "Connected or  Network Cable is Unpluged".

If it shows you that its connected, right click on it and click on Status and then click on the Support tab and below it will display you "IP Address" and check whats the IP address is, and it should be in this range (192.168.1.xxx, Subnet : 255.255.255.0 and Default Gateway : 192.168.1.1) , if the IP address is different then this, then your computer must be having Static IP , so you need to remove the static Ip from your computer......... 

To Remove the static Ip from your computer.... Right click on "Local Area Connection" and click on Properties and under "This Connection Uses Following Iteam" highlight "Internet Protocol TCP/IP" and below click on Properties and select "Obtain and IP address Automatically" and select "Obtain and DNS Server Automatically" and click on Ok and Ok. .... Now check if you are Online.. 

If it displays you "Network Cable is Unpluged" ...Click on the Start button >>> Control Panel >> Network Connections >> Right click on the ""Local Area Connection"" icon and select properties-Here click on the "Configure" button- Click on the "Advanced" tab- In the "Property" box highlight Link speed and duplex/Connection type/Network or Media type- And in the "Value" box select 10 Mbps half duplex/ 10 base T/10 base half mode and click on OK.. Now Disable the Local Area Connection and re-enable it again... 

Once its shows you that its connected now check if you are Online. 

HazardTW

[ Edited ]

Either other posters are misunderstanding your question, or I am.

I interpret your situation like this:

1) all of your computers connect to the internet wirelessly through a public access point in your building.

2) the access point isolates(which it should) each client connected, leaving you without the ability to file/print share.

3) what you would like to do is have your wireless router be the only device connected to this public access point.

4) have all of your computers and printers connected to your router to form your own private network so you can share resources.

What you need is a wireless access point in addition to what you currently have.

You might try this:

1) get a wireless access point.

2) configure this access point to be a wireless client.

3) have this wireless access point connect to the publicly available wireless network in your building.

4) connect the ethernet port of this wireless access point to the internet port of your wireless router.

5) configure the WAN of your wireless router to recieve it's IP automatically ( assuming the public wireless in the bldg is assiging IP's via DHCP)

6) determine if the public wireless in your building is assigning public routable IP's or private IP's, private IP's would be 192.168.x.x, 172.16.x.x, 10.x.x.x for example, ( google 'private ip ranges' )

7a) if the public wireless is assigning public routable IP's you can set up your LAN side of your wireless router as it is normally intended, and have all your computers connect to YOUR wireless network instead of the public wireless.

7b) if the public wireless is assigning private IP's then just make sure that the private network created on the LAN side of your router is using a different private IP range than what the public wireless is using, ie. if the public wireless in the bldg is using 192.168.x.x then set your LAN to use 10.x.x.x network, this way there is no chance that any IP on the LAN side of your router's network could conflict with the IP that the public wireless has given the WAN side of your router.

If you use a configuration like this, and the wireless access point that you use shows you the channel that the public wireless is using, set YOUR wireless network coming out of YOUR router as far from the public wireless channel as you can, ie. if the public wireless is broadcasting on ch. 3, set your wireless to use ch. 11.

(((--- public wireless ---)))

|

V

(((--- WAP in client mode connected to public wireless ---)))

|

V

ethernet cable

|

V

internet port of your wireless router ( automatic dhcp )

|

WAN side of your wireless router hosting YOUR private wireless network

|

V

your computers connected with cable or wireless to YOUR private network

Keep in mind that if the public wireless in your bldg is assigning private IP's then the above scenario would mean that your network traffic would be double NAT'd, meaning that the IP's in YOUR private network would be translated once into the IP that the public wireless network has assigned to your router, then that IP is translated again into a public routable IP address before hitting the internet.

This can cause problems with some applications especially FTP.

The above scenario would probably be the simplest and best way to connect to the public wireless and still have a private network of your own.

Another way may be to have the PC that is wired to your router connect to the public network, and then bridge the wireless and wired interfaces on that PC to share it's internet connection, then use the wire to connect to one of the WAN ports of the wireless router to use it as a switch, then have your wireless computers connect to the wireless network created by your router instead of the public wireless.

This method might be harder to implement than it is to say, and if successfull would require your wired PC to be running for your other PC's to have internet access.

All that being said, it is possible to be connected to two different networks at the same time using two different interfaces but it's a little more complicated routing and I am not sure about Vista, I have very limited experience with Vista, but on my XP machines I can be connected to as many networks as I have network interfaces. 

Message Edited by HazardTW on 09-26-2009 10:35 AM
Message Edited by HazardTW on 09-26-2009 10:40 AM
SKos

HazardTW, you are awesome!!

That is exactly my setup and you've given me the solution.

What would you recommend for WAP hardware?  I'm looking at eBay and seeing their WAP 54G.  Would that be a good solution or are there less expensive ways to go for the setup you're recommending.

I have a spare Linksys Wireless G USB adapter card that I used for my TIVO to download programming, but since it's USB, it won't plug into my eternet port on my router.  Is there some type of cabling adapter that would convert the USB plug to the Ethernet plug that would be less expensive than buying the WAP 54G?

Thanks so much for all of your help!

Steve

HazardTW

The only AP I have used is a WAP54Gv3 and used it as a wireless client, it worked just fine, however if you have more than one wireless router in your possession it may be possible using DD-WRT to give one of them the ability to act as a wireless client and perform the same function as the WAP in client mode.

I do not know how much you can get a WAP for but if you do have to spend some money, then search ebay for wireless routers that are "made for" DD-WRT, by that I mean that they have well supported chip-sets and a boat load of memory.

The reason I am suggesting getting a DD-WRT supported router as opposed to a WAP is that a DD-WRT router will give you the same function as the WAP, and a WHOLE LOT MORE, and while it may seem like a waste to be using a DD-WRT router as a simple wireless client, think into the future, I am guessing you won't always be living where you live right now, and that router could come in very handy someday.

If you do decide you would like to use DD-WRT please spend a lot of time at their website and familiarize yourself with the products that are best suited for that firmware before you make a purchase, otherwise you could be in for a big headache.

Good luck. 

SKos

OK, here's an update.  I have found an adapter to convert my USB network adapter cord to Ethernet. 

See  http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280380748873

However, it says "Can be used to connect a USB ADSL modem to a router with an RJ45 socket, but please note that this will not provide the necessary power to the modem as the PC does."

Since I'm not trying to use a modem for my internet access, but trying to use the network adapter card as my wireless access point, my question isthis...If I connect my Linksys Wireless-B USB network adapter card to the router by way of the adapter  connector in the link above, will the Linksys Wireless-B USB network adapter card be powered by the electricity from the Linksys WRT54G router or not?

Any help would be appreciated!

Steve