ricker123

How to increase your Linksys signal strength

We have a new e1000 router that was having trouble reaching the TV for Netflix movie streaming. Too many walls and too much distance. A simple solution was to direct the signals from the router by placing aluminum foil behind the router so all the signal was going towards the TV rather than in an 360 degree circle. Now the streaming works great! After the movie is done I remove the foil and everything looks just like it should. The good news is that we don't have to move the router and modem to another location in the house which, for us non-techies, is a blessing. Thanks to my 13 yr. old son for his coming up with this simple solution. And thanks to U-Tube.

Expert
primus

Re: How to increase your Linksys signal strength

Hi.

Welcome to Cisco Home Community Forums.

This could be a good solution to wireless environments with weak signal transfer. Thanks. :smileyhappy:

eugenenine

[ Edited ]

How is netflix working for you?  I can't get a movie to play without stopping to buffer in the middle unless I bypass the router and plug my blu-ray player straight into my cable modem.  tried with a wrt54g and an e2000.  Either router the quality is much less, usually the middle of their meter and it stops to buffer sometimes.  netflix says my speed is showing under ther 1.5M minimum when I call them.  I'm on an 8M servoce now and if I bypass the router the movies are fine, HD quality and no stopping.

dibbler

Open the setup page of the router and change the MTU size to 1365. Save the settings and power cycle the router. See if that works.

If it is wireless then try changing the wireless settings on the router.

Click on Wireless tab and go to Advanced wireless settings. Change the Beacon interval to 75, RTS threshold to 2307 and fragmentation threshold to 2306. Save the settings.

UnlikelySalsero

Dibbler: You are among many of the long time posters on this board that recommend this setting:

"Click on Wireless tab and go to Advanced wireless settings. Change the Beacon interval to 75, RTS threshold to 2307 and fragmentation threshold to 2306. Save the settings."

I'm new here, and I'm trying to figure out why this is recommended so many times, from different people on the forum. As a general observation, it's recommended by people like you with thousands of postings.

It's almost like a generic recommendation, and makes me wonder what are the defaults and why so many experienced people recommend they are changed.

• Do you basically recommend this as a better starting point for most people compared to the defaults?
  • I'm guessing you are using the manual (HTML) settings to see these settings?

I haven't done enough homework to understand these settings so any insights are appreciated!

Expert
sabretooth

Basically those settings have worked for years and years.  They continue to work even on the new routers since Linksys/Cisco have not changed the defaults. 

aprocopiou

I have tried those settings and it didn't work for me. Do I need to reboot. The signal strength is only 5% which

is lame that it can't pass through walls. The router is located updtairs and the TV is in the living room downstairs.

I have settings set to mixed signal since our iphones and laptops are connected. I was wondering maybe I need

to have a seperate connection that is 5Gz for netflix or do I need another routher that is an extension to the one 

upstairs that would be placed in the kitchen for instance next to living room. 

Any help woould be much appreciated.

Thanks !

RogerSC

The range on 5GHz. is even shorter than the range on 2.4GHz.  So if you're having a range problem with 2.4GHz., it's only going to get worse with 5GHz.  You're on the right track in thinking about using an access point, though.  That can extend your router coverage amd solve your range problem (assuming that it is a range problem).

StillwaterDave

RE:

"Click on Wireless tab and go to Advanced wireless settings. Change the Beacon interval to 75, RTS threshold to 2307 and fragmentation threshold to 2306. Save the settings."

Is there a way to reach these settings via the Cisco Connect Cloud?  I have a new EA3500.  The controls are at Connect Cloud but I can't find Beacon Interval, RTS or Fragmentation in the Advanced Wireless menu.

Jake_2.0

For cisco connect cloud the advanced wireless settings of this router has been disabled.