P S
P S
Accepted Solution

How to install Linksys WET54G wireless bridge?

I am trying to install a wireless bridge on my network. It is a Linksys WET54G v3 wireless bridge. I follow the instructions to configure the bridge: attach the antenna, plug the Ethernet cable into the bridge, plug the other end of the cable into the RJ-45 port of the hub (a Linksys WRT300N router), plug the power supply, insert the setup disk, and run the setup program. After following the steps, it came back and said it could not find a wireless bridge on my network.  I tried just plugging the wireless bridge directly into the PC (as it was one of the alternatives in the instruction) Ethernet port. I got the same message. The set up on my wireless router is as follows, DSL modem connects into wireless router, and wireless router connects to PC Ethernet port. I am thinking, connecting the wireless bridge to one of the ports on the wireless router wouldn’t necessary allow the PC to know it is there, would it? Could it be that I don’t have a network? Does a wireless router form a hub? Please help newbie here!!! 
P S
P S

Re: How to install Linksys WET54G wireless bridge?

Anyoe? Please help, thank you.
dibbler

Connect your ethernet bridge to the router then access the set up of the  ethernet bridge with http://192.168.1.226 on the address bar then type the password as "admin" no username then put the wireless settings same as that of the router to the bridge set up and save settings
P S
P S

Thank you, dibbler. I plugged everything in, but Internet Explorer could not find http://192.168.1.226.
Toosmart

What it the IP address of your router?

On your working computer - Click on start - run - cmd - hit enter

ipconfig - hit enter and let me know what is the IP address and default gateway?

P S
P S

Thank you, Toosmart. Here is what I got:

IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.102

Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.1

Toosmart

This means that your router's default IP address has been changed.
Now connect one computer directly to WET and assign a static IP address on computer.
Step 1: Assign static IP on computer.
Start - control panel - network connection - right click on Local Area Connection - select properties - TCP/IP properties.
Select "Use the following IP address"
IP 192.168.1.10 Gateway 192.168.1.1 and click OK.
Step 2: Now access http://192.168.1.226
Leave the username and enter password as - admin
Change the IP of WET from 192.168.1.226 to 192.168.2.226 and click on save settings.
* you might get a message "page cannot be displayed or page can hang"
Close the page, disconnect the power cable from WET and reconnect after 30secs.
Step 3: Now repeat step 1 and select the option back to "Obtain IP address automatically".
Step 4: Reconnect your computer to the router as earlier and run the disk to configure the WET.
- Let me know if you need any other info.
P S
P S

Thank you, Toosmart. I finally called Linksys Tech Support and they helped me to solve it. It was exactly as you suggested.

sreekanth

I had the same problem : I took the unit out of the box, plugged it into an enet port of my Windows XP PC, and ran Linksys' utility, and it keeps saying it cant find the Linksys unit. Wasted some time trying on a Vista laptop. Then finally found this place, and now I'm connectd.

Grrr. How hard is it to get the simple stuff right ?  This is meant to be a consumer product, and I'm an engineer, and still wasted so much time.

JS

P S
P S

sreekanth, I felt the same. They really should simplify the set up process.