Oleg123

How to printer wireless - from laptop through router to printer

I have a new Dell’s laptop which I was able to configure to use the wireless WRT54GS router to access the DSL modem to go to the Internet.  This works fine.

Now I want to add the printer to the fry.

What do I have to do – in as many detail and possible – to add this printer to the router in order to be able to print from my laptop (wirelessly) to the printer?

I am new to networking and wireless networking, so any help (in easy step-by-step format preferably) would be greatly appreciated.

Re: How to printer wireless - from laptop through router to printer

Oleg123

Thank you for the lead.

However, does it mean that I have to have multi PC/Laptop environment – and that one of these PC/Laptop machines has to link to the Printer?

If yes then it is not for me.  I have a laptop, a wireless router and a printer. 

How do I piece this together?

frederuco

Hoss, not sure if you figured this out yet. I have 2 printers hooked up to my network so I can print from any computer, including wireless laptops. Depending on your printer, it will make a difference. Both of my printers have hard wired ethernet ports (Canon MF5770 and HP 6980) I have the Canon hooked directly to my WRT54G, and the HP has both wired and wireless built into it, so that I have in my living room and it is just plugged into the wall.

If you do not have a printer with a network card, you will need a network print server, I am going to assume that your printer is USB. If you are going to have it near your router (in an office) you can use a wired print server (linksys PPS1UW) and you will have to follow the config instructions for the print server. If you would like it somewhere away from your router, they you may want to consider a wireless print server (linksys WPS54G).

If by chance you have a Parallel Port printer, you can use linksys WPS54GU2 which is a wired and/or wireless print server that hooks up to usb & parallel port printers.

Hope this helps.
Dr_Stretch

Here is what to do: Connect the printer you have directly to the computer that is connected to the router, make sure it's installed and working.

Then:
1. Got to control panel
2. Click printers and Other Hardware
3. Click view installed printers
4. Highlight the printer
5. On the left pane click Share this printer
6 Follow all instructions
Finished
ktazbd

Model of your printer and the Model of your wireless router are  important issues. First of all set printer   with the router . If your router recognize the printer  wirelessly only then you can print from your laptop or PC.

tpallison

I am having the same problem with my Dell. Were you able to found the procedure? Any help would be appreciated.
mrdejean

I had to register to let people know of an issue I've encountered with the PSUS4 printserver.  I've been fighting it for the last week to no avail.  Rebooted my entire system countless times only to find out that the printserver was not showing up on my network.  Then it hit me.  The printserver was quite hot and the RJ45 LED going to my WRT54G wireless router was flashing intermittently.

I disconnected the PSUS4 and put it in front of my AC vent for 2 minutes.  When I plugged it back in, it was perfectly functional.  There must be a heating issue with the hardware, though I've owned it for several years for this to happen only now.  I did however upgrade the firmware only last November.  For some odd reason it seems to have started from that point on.

Anybody else have this similar issue??  The heat, the flashing LED???

Thanks.

jonathanl1

interesting. i've just been dealing with the same problem. my psus4 has been working great for 5-6 years. then it just stopped. it was very hot. it would appear and dissapear from the bi-admin utility. and pinging it was not always successfull. i will cool it down and see if that helps.

do you use a static ip, or dhcp? is one way better than the other?

jamesline40

I NEED HELP WITH THIS PROBLEM, PRINTER WORKS FOR A MINUTE THEN CRASHES...