Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Anonymous

How to secure my network using WRT54G version 5 router?

[ Edited ]
Hey!I have a linksys router WRT54G V5 firmware 1.00.6 and  I want to secure my wireless connection but when I go to that page wherein I can enable my security I am confused what security mode to use. Would it be WPA Personal, WPA Enterprise, WPA2 Personal, WPA2 Enterprise or WEP? Which one do you recommend and what are they differences? Thank you!

Message Edited by jay on 04-25-2006 05:27 PM

Anonymous

Re: Inquiry

Okay. This might get confusing and technical. Let's begin by differentiating the Personal and the Enterprise mode of WPA and WPA2. WPA/2 Personal simply means that every user is given the same passphrase (password) to access the network while in WPA/2 Enterprise, each user is given a different key by an authentication server to connect to the network. Now WPA and WPA2 differs in the encryption that they uses. WPA uses a message authentication mode or MIC called "Michael" while WPA2 uses CCMP as its message authentication code. Also WPA2 provides a stronger encryption method using AES while WPA uses RC4 which is the same for WEP. On the other hand WEP uses a Temporal Key Integrity Protocol (TKIP) as the authenticaion and although WEP and WPA uses both RC4 stream cipher, with WPA, the keys dynamically changes as the system is used which defeats well-known key recovery attacks on WEP.

In short, WEP is almost obsolete, WPA/2 personal is for home and small offices while WPA/2 Enterprise are for corporate users that can afford the cost and complexity of an 802.1X authentication server. On a side note, WPA2 requires that you upgrade the drivers of your network cards for its support. Note that from March 13th, 2006, WPA2 certification is mandatory for all new devices wishing to be Wi-Fi certified. :smileysurprised:

Anonymous

Oh tanx..So I will remove WEP from my option and I can just choose between WPA Personal and WPA2 Personal but I need to make sure that I have the latest driver for my wireless card, is that right?:smileyhappy:
Anonymous

Yes, that's right. :smileywink:
Anonymous

Re: How to secure my network using WRT54G version 5 router?

you may also secure the network using wireless MAC filtering.
linksysinfo

Re: How to secure my network using WRT54G version 5 router?

checkout this guide:

Wireless Security - How secure is your Wireless Network?
Regards Simon

NAS: TS-459 Pro - 3.6.1 Build0302T - 4 x 1TB Samsung HD103SJ : EXT4 - APC ES 700VA UPS
QPKG: WordPress 3.4, TwonkyMedia 6.0.39 QPKG - Zenphoto1.4.2.1 [7802] - phpMyAdmin v3.3.10
Network: Netgear DG834G V4.01.40 - DGTeam Rev. 0849 -> Cisco RV220W 1.0.4.13, Cisco SLM2008, Dlink DSM-520, Xbox360