Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
tongrov

How to set up WRT54GL as access point?

I have an existing wired local network serving about 10 PC's, printers, etc., and want to add a wireless access point for up to 10 laptops/handhelds so that they can work exactly the same as if they were plugged into an Ethernet socket. The wireless signal needs to extend to a radius of about 25m.

Now, I have an unused Linksys WRT54GL "broadband router" with firmware v.4.30.2 which I have heard can be simply connected to the Ethernet switch and configured to do what I'm looking for. I've played around with the router's web interface but have had no success. I've also scoured the web (and these forums) and can't find any specific instructions about how to do it.

So, I'm wondering can anybody here point me in the direction of a foolproof step-by-step guide to setting up the WRT54GL to do what I need?

Thanks a lot for any help.

Tony.
Klatch

Re: How to set up WRT54GL as access point?

If the ip address coming on the switch is 192.168.1.x..try out either of the following set up

( 1 )
connect a cable from one of the ports of the switch to the internet port of the WRT54GL....connect one computer to port 1 on WRT54GL...open IE and type http://192.168.1.1 .. log on to the router by keeping the username blank and "admin" is the default password...once on the set up page...change the local ip add as
" 192.168.2.1 ".Click on the "wireless" tab and change the ssid to any non-linksys name ,, channel -- 1,9 or 11.....and you can enable the security by clicking " wireless security "...

( 2 )
connect one computer to port 1 on WRT54GL...open IE and type http://192.168.1.1 .. log on to the router by keeping the username blank and "admin" is the default password...once on the set up page...Click on the "wireless" tab and change the ssid to any non-linksys name ,, channel -- 1,9 or 11.....and you can enable the security by clicking " wireless security "...on the " set up " tab change the local ip add as " 192.168.1.2 " and disable the DHCP server...Then connect the cable from one of the ports of switch to the ethernet port of the WRT54GL....
tongrov

OK, thanks for that. I reset the WRT54GL, gave it the address 192.168.1.253 (the LAN uses 192.168.1.x, mask 255.255.255.0, and has its own DHCP server), disabled DHCP, changed the SSID to "abc", left security disabled (to keep it simple for the moment), then connected it (using in turn both the router's Internet port, and one of its LAN ports) to the Ethernet switch. Then I put a new Windows XP laptop (with a built-in wireless adaptor) beside the router and tested for available wireless networks, but it reported that it could not find any.

Does anybody have any suggestions about where to go from here?

Thanks.
tongrov

I should add that when I tested the laptop at home, it detected the next-door neighbour's wireless network, so its wireless facility does seem to be working.
Zetone

Hi,

First point is to ignore the router WAN port.

I wrote a guide here:  http://www.aperture.ro/index.php/2009/03/configuring-linksys-wrt54gl-wireless-router-as-wireless-acc...

Enjoy,

Zet