jjmartin77
Accepted Solution

How to setup WRT54G as a wired bridge through another router

I have a verizon provided wireless router now and wish to utilize my wrt54G as a wired bridge.  Basically, I want to use the WRT54G as a switch to connect 3 items that do not have wireless (a A/V receiver, XBOX 360, and some networked storage).  The run is too long to have 3 connections directly to the verizon router, so I ran one and want the WRT54G to act as a HUB of sorts.   

I connected the LAN output of my verizon router to the Input of the WRT54G, but no internet on the wired WRT54G outputs.  I assume I need to switch something to "bridged mode", but cannot figure this out.  I also suspect I need to disable DHCP, assign a static IP, and probably more, but I am having no luck.

Any ideas?   Help is greatly appreciated.

oook

Re: How to setup WRT54G as a wired bridge through another router

What's the ip address of your verizon router?

Make sure that the Verizon router's ip address and the Linksys router's ip address both are suppose to be in the same network range.(For ex. Verizon router ip-192.168.2.1, Linksys Router ip- 192.168.2.2). Then connect the Ethernet cable from verizon router to the linksys router in Port number 1. Open the setup page of the Linksys router disable the DHCP and the Wireless  (as you said you want to "utilize wrt54G as a wired router" )

jjmartin77

Thanks!  Worked perfectly.  I had done everything correctly, but had the ethernet plugged into the internet port, not LAN port 1.. 

Any idea why you have to connect it to LAN port 1 vs. the other ports?

sbev11@verizon.net

this is exactly what i want to do, but i also want to extend the reach of my wireless network.  would i enable the wireless and the DHCP?  Are there any other steps to complete?