Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
hoitantan

How to setup a public and private wireless

I would like to setup 2 wireless connections.  One is private and the other is public.  And the Public connection can not see or access share folder and the NAS storage.  Which router do I need and how do I do it?

Thanks!
Expert
Expert

Re: How to setup a public and private wireless

If you want a single router you have to look at business routers/access points like those from Cisco. Those are able to run multiple SSIDs on a single device.

With Linksys equipment you'll need at least two routers.

Setup 1 with two routers:

Modem connects to first router.
First router connects to second router.

The first router runs the public wireless.
The second router runs the private wireless.

Problem: if the first router gets hacked it may be possible to scan the internet traffic of the second router.

Setup 2 with three routers:

Modem connects to first router (no wireless needed).
First router connects to second and third routers (both wireless).

The second is public wireless.
The third is private wireless.

The first router should be one which allows you to block all incoming traffic to the first router itself from the "public" router, otherwise you still have the same problem as in setup 1 in case the first router gets hacked.
Ikester

GV has a point but depending on which router you have now will give you a few options.  I have set up a few networks with private/public wireless and I simply set them up with what ever WIRED router they are currently using and a WAP54GP because it supports up to 7 SSID's and VLAN trunking.  The fact that you can set up WPA or WPA2 on each SSID you want to keep private or leave it open to the public and seperate the networks via the VLAN.   This set up has worked for me with a RV082 as the main router.  Its just an idea to toss in the mix of options you have.
Richard Aichner (Ikester)
Expert
Expert

How exactly did you separate the VLANs on the RV082? The RV082 does not support VLANs, does it?

If you connect multiple VLANs to the RV082 doesn't the non-vlan switch on the RV connect all your VLANs?

Does the RV082 properly handle routing/filtering between different LAN subnets, too?
hoitantan

Thanks for the info.  I am a beginner at these stuff so I think gv option 2 would be the best for me to start of. 

But having VLAN on a single router sounds good too...maybe if you can provide more information and explain on how to do it would be greate.  I might consider it in the future.

Thanks!