Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
dinoalbert

How to setup password to protect my wireless home network

Hi everyone.

Please bear with me...Im a newbie in Wireless Home networking.

I just bought today a WRT54G wireless router and I was able now to connect a (wired) desktop and WiFi laptop to it.

My questions now are:

1) how do I configure it such that it asks for a password before a device can connect to it?

2) how do I know if someone else, or a neighbor is connecting/ connected to it?

3) Is there a way for me to see list of all devices/PCs that are connected to it...just to know if an "outsider" is connected to it?

Im asking this because when i tried to connect that WiFi laptop, it connects easily without asking for a password. When I clicked on the Wireless network Connections....I found my router that says "Unsecured Wireless Connection"

However I wanted to have it "secured" or password-enalbled so that no one else can have free access to my Internet connection.

Please advise a newbie....will be greatly appreciated :smileyhappy:
melak

Re: How to setup password to protect my wireless home network

I assume your running a v5, to check, look on the bottom of the router and next to to WRT54G will be your version

1. for a password, go to the config page, wireless, wireless security, and pick a security mode and password (mind you though, your laptop should only need to have you enter the pass once, after that it will remember the pass)

2/3. then click on wireless mac filtering, edit mac filter list, and then wireless client mac list to see the mac address, and name of all wireless devices connected to your 54G
dinoalbert

HI melak!

Thanks for the reply...been waiting for it for the whole day LOL!

Anyway, mine is version 7.

Do I have to do both 1 and 2/3 of your advice or I can just do the no.1?

For question 2, what I mean is....how do I know if someone else around my neighborhood is using or is connected to my router? Is there a way to check "who is connected"?

By the way, is your advice the one about MAC Address filtering?

What about WEP and WPA....are they different? How do I configure WEP?

Thank so much!
melak

I'm unsure of the firmware for version 7 but most of my adivce should still hold.

after doing some searching on WPA and WEP and WPA2, WPA is better, with WPA2 being better than that

so once you configure it for WPA (or WPA2 if a 54g v7 supports it) it should be as simple as entering a password and remembering it

as for seeing whose connected, that's the only way I know of doing it (on a 54g v5 since that's what I have) is to go into the mac filters and then check and see the wireless mac's that are connected. That's one of the only things I don't like about the 54g, is that there is no easier way to see who's connected.

if you want even more security, you could get the Mac address of your laptop, add it to the mac filter, and configure it so only that mac address can access the wireless router, though going this route means everytime you want to add a new wireless device to the network, you have to add it to the mac filter list.
jamus

how can i setup a password to protect my wireless connection? my daughter's computer (new) asked her which network she wanted to connect to, ours or the neighbor's name. thanks for your help.
Expert
Expert

That fact that the computer can find the wireless network does not mean that it does not have a password nor that you can simply connect to it. You have to connect to the network to find out whether it is secured or not. Only if the computer connects to a new wireless network without prompting for a key or password then it is unsecured. Please note that most computers will remember the key after the first time thus being able to connect without passphrase prompt later.

Otherwise configure wireless security at http://192.168.1.1/ as mentioned before in this thread. Set WPA2 Personal and a good passphrase. See the manual for more details.
dinoalbert

of course you have to connect to your own...well you could also connect to your neighbor as long as you have permission :smileyhappy:
2robertos

Can someone please help me how to protect my linksys wireless home network, how to add a password.

Thank you,
Nina