CassilineKnight

How to update the firmware for Linksys WRT610N

Just like the thread title says. I want to make absolutely sure that 1) My router is updated to the LATEST firmware. 2) That I take all the necessary and required steps both before, during, AND after I download the firmware. Thanks in advance...
Signal2Noise

Re: How to update the firmware for Linksys WRT610N

• Download the firmware and save it a location you'll remember.
  • Open up the router's adminstration page in your web browser.
  • Navigate to the Administration|Firmware Upgrade page
  • Use the 'Browse' button to find the firmware file you downloaded previously.
  • Then click on the 'Upgrade' button to begin the process.

All this can be found in the router's user guide on the install CD that came with your router. Good luck!

And don't forget to reset it to factory defaults and reconfigure the router again. And in the case you have made a backup of your configuration, do not use it to avoid more problems.

See also:
http://forums.linksys.com/linksys/board/message?board.id=Wireless_Routers&message.id=105204&query.id=180818#M105204
Signal2Noise

aoxomoxoa wrote:
And don't forget to reset it to factory defaults and reconfigure the router again. And in the case you have made a backup of your configuration, do not use it to avoid more problems.

Why? I didn't find this necessary to do.

What does this thread have anything to do with the OP's question? It offers zero help or info.

great_white

Down load the latest firmware from www.linksys.com/downloads and follow these steps:
Open an Internet Explorer browser page.In the address bar type - 192.168.1.1
Leave username blank & in password use admin
Click on the 'Administration' tab- Then click on
the 'Firmware Upgrade' sub tab- Here click on 'Browse' to select the
extracted/uncompressed .img or .bin file and click on "Upgrade"-Wait for few seconds ....
It shows that "Upgrade successful"  After
the firmware upgrade, click on "Reboot" and you will be returned back
to the same page OR it will say "Page cannot be displayed".
Reset the router for few seconds ....
Reconfigure it ....

[ Edited ]

To signal2Noise:

For you it may not be necessary, but is advised in the manual. I didn't get my router stable on the wireless features after the upgrade. Until I read somewhere the reset and reconfiguring was an absolute must. And after I did reset the router to factory defaults and reconfigured it, it is running smoothley since then. Except for the NAS, of course, that's a complete other story. 

Sorry for the incorrect link. References to threads seems te be mixed up or I use the wrong technique in copying links. Thanks for noticing.

Message Edited by aoxomoxoa on 10-22-2008 01:52 PM