Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
cstach

Hughesnet and WRT54GS Wireless Router Issues

Well this is the first time I've run into a networking issue with this router (it was a lot easier to setup with a cable connection). Well I just got HughesNet satellite internet installed today with the HN7000S modem. HughesNet provides the following instructions for setting up the router to be compatible with the modem:

*Disconnect your computer from the DW6000/7000 or HN7000S. You will reconnect it to the network later.

*Establish communication between your PC and your router. If you are having trouble doing this please contact the manufacture or your router.
Note: Do NOT plug into the "WAN / Internet" port on your router.

*On the router, you will need to make the following changes to the LAN settings or setup. Consult the owner's manual for instructions on how to do this.

*Disable the built in DHCP server.
*Set its LAN IP address to 192.168.0.254.
*Set its LAN Subnet Mask to 255.255.255.0.
*Set its LAN Default Gateway to 192.168.0.1.

Note: Not all routers will have these settings. If yours does not you should consider purchasing either a hard wired hub or a wireless access point. Also you may loose connectivity to your router after making these changes. If at any point you want to reset your router, most routers have a reset button on the back. Press and hold the reset button for at least 15 seconds. This will reset the router to its original factory settings and allow you to regain connectivity to it.

*Plug the DW6000/7000 or HN7000S into your router.
Note: Do NOT plug into the "WAN / Internet" port on your router.

*Reboot your computer to renew its IP address.
*At this point you should have internet connectivity. If you don't recheck each step carefully. You can also try resetting your router's settings and starting over. Most routers include a reset button on the back for this purpose. Press and hold the reset button for at least 15 seconds.

I tired entering this stuff in the router's setting but it still wouldn't work. This is what I did, so it may be wrong.

I switched the connection type to Static IP in the internet setup area and entered the provided IP address, subnet mask, and Default Gateway. I also disabled the DCHP Server. I restarted my computer and nothing. Any suggestions will be appreciated. Also if there is any info that I left out I can give it to ya. Thanks.
Expert
Expert

Re: Hughesnet and WRT54GS Wireless Router Issues

First: with these instructions you use the Linksys as simple switch and wireless access point. You don't utilize the router functions on the Linksys, thus things like port forwarding etc. won't work on the Linksys. Anything related with the internet connection must be setup on the supplied modem (which is also a router it seems).

To set up the Linksys properly you must carefully follow the instructions they gave you. You changed the internet connection type to static ip and entered the give LAN IP values into the internet connection settings I assume. This is incorrect. You have to setup the LAN IP address not the internet IP address.

As nothing is connected into the internet port of the router the internet connection settings are not operational. Please set them back to "Automatic/DHCP", save the settings, and in future simply ignore them as long as you use the suggested setup, i.e. nothing is connected to the internet port. Instead of setting it back to DHCP you can also do a full factory reset pressing the reset button on the Linksys for 30 seconds and start over.

Then modify the LAN IP address of the router which should be on the same page as the internet connection settings as suggested. Set the LAN IP address to 192.168.0.254 and the subnet mask to 255.255.255.0. If you have the option to define the LAN gateway (in the same section as the previous fields) you can enter it, too. If you router does not have the LAN gateway address field, simply ignore this. You don't need the LAN gateway on the router in your setup.

Also remember to turn off the DHCP server.

After you made these adjustments save the settings.

Remember, after you have changed the LAN IP address on the Linksys the web-based utility is available on the new IP address, i.e. http://192.168.0.254/ and not http://192.168.1.1/
cstach

Thanks gv I really appreciate the help. You saved me from being charged $60 by Hughesnet Tech Support to tell me the same thing.
Expert
Expert

Oh. Just send me your address and I'll send you a bill! :smileyhappy:

You're welcome.
mzmercury

I have also been trying to set this up and have been able to disable the DHCP server per instructions but when I try to change the Lan IP's (under the Advanced Routing tab), I get a pop up error box that says "Invalid LAN IP or Subnet Mask".  I have checked and rechecked the addresses that I'm entering and can't see what the problem is.

Any ideas here?

Theresa
Expert
Expert

Please simply post what values you are trying to enter into which fields. Then we'll see if there is a problem or not.
mzmercury

Under the Advanced Routing tab, I'm entering the following:

Destination LAN IP: 192.168.0.254

Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0

Default Gateway: 192.168.0.1

These are the addresses as given in the instructions that the original poster pasted from the HughesNet site.

I am getting an Invalid LAN IP or Subnet Mask error when I try to save my settings.

Thanks in advance for any help,

Theresa
Expert
Expert

[ Edited ]
Your are not supposed to add routes on your router but to configure the LAN network setup on the first main Setup page ("Basic Setup" or similar). Compare it here. Just enter 192.168.0.254 as IP address instead of the 192.168.2.1 in the screen shots. You won't be able to configure the default gateway.

Message Edited by gv on 06-02-200702:04 PM

tomkat1127

I know this is a old thread but wanted to bring it back to life as it contains some of the exact problems I am having and yes I am a newbie to wireless networking. I will be a bit windy but prefer to be detailed to insure I get correct help.

I have a 2+ yr old Hughenet DW7000 modem/router using Dynamic NAT. I am trying to hook the Hughes net internet to a brand new Linksys WRT160N V2 (wireless N router). To that I want to wireless connect my wifes Dell laptop using a brand new Dual-band wireless N Cardbus card and my Dell desktop via a wired Cat5 cable.

I tried to just plug and go and that didn't work. I then tried to setup per the Hughesnet and GV's suggestions and got the same or simlar **bleep** message as mzmercury " Lan IP cannot be same as subnet mask....." I finally got it to accept a LAN IP of 192.168.0.10.

My desktop has a great internet connection but it is hard wired. Now the laptop says it connects to the wireless router with excellent strength and speed but will not display a webpage or ping any site or even reach the routers (Linksys or Hughes). I am left wondering if it's a windows/IE6 settings problem or a configuration problem? Can someone please HELP. I've been three weeks with this and as anyone now days do not have time.

bobcatl69

ok  i am new to the whole wireless thing and i am extreamly lost.   i was unable to find where to post a new thread so i am hopeing this will work.    i have the hughesnet  HN9000 modem.    just got the WRT54GS router.   i hooked it up per instructions but it is giving me a serious headache.

first....when hooked up to my pc i get great internet.   when i connect the router,  i can get on with my laptop but not my home pc.

all the lights on the router are lit up and the power light is flashing.

any help would be great.   i am totaly lost and reading through all these threads...i didnt see anything on this model modem.

thanks,    bob