Ness426

I can't setup a WPA/WPA2 Personal Security Setting on WRT54G

Can anyone tell me why the setup keeps asking me for a pre-shared key to establish a secure network for my router?
(If you know it, feel free to tell me.)

Re: I can't setup a WPA/WPA2 Personal Security Setting on WRT54G

If you are using a CD or are using the Easy Link Advisor to set up the wireless security and are having an issue, you do not have to use either , you can set up the wireless security manually by accessing the routers set up pages. Below are steps to follow.

***Important = Please connect an Ethernet cable from the linksys router to the computer that you are setting up the wireless security on, this is only for setting up only,once done with the set up remove the Ethernet cable.***

Setting up your wireless connection in your router.

*** Step #5 = you can choose the type of encryption that fits your set-up, the example I give is: WPA/TKIP+AES

***Also Pay close attention to the security and security key information and make sure it matches. (What is entered in the router must be entered in the computer.

1.Open Internet Explorer and type 192.168.1.1 into the address bar.

2.You will now get a sign-in box, User Name = (Leave Blank)

Password = admin (all lower case letters)

3.Once the set-up page opens, click on the Wireless Tab as you will need to change the settings. A) Wireless Network Mode = Mixed

B) Wireless Network Name (SSID) = Choose any name and do not use Linksys.

C) Wireless Channel = 1, 6 or 11 is best, so see which work best for you.

D) Wireless SSID Broadcast = Enabled.

4. Now go to the bottom of the page and click on save settings.

5. Click on the Wireless Security Sub tab.

A) Security Mode: WPA

B) WPA Algorithms: TKIP + AES

C) WPA Shared Key:  Type 24 letters, and numbers using lower and upper case letters

D) Group Key Renewal: 3600

6. Once again go to the bottom of the page and click on Save Settings.

7. Now you can close out of this page.

8. You will now need to enter the security info into your computer. I will now give you 2 links, depending which operating system you have, Vista or XP you will follow the one you have.

Vista = http://www.home-network-help.com/wireless-adapter-configuration-in-vista.html

XP = http://www.home-network-help.com/wireless-adapter.html

Now try to make a wireless connection.

Good Luck,

Ttech

toomanydonuts

Encryption requires that the same "preshared key" be entered into both the router and the computer.   Additionally, the router and computer must be using the same SSID and encryption method (WEP, WPA, WPA2).

For WEP, enter WEP "key 1"  (found in the router) into your computer, not the WEP password or passphrase.

For WPA or WPA2, enter the "key"  (sometimes called the password or passphrase)  into your computer.

Here are some additional tips for setting up wireless security:

To set up wireless security, you must use a computer that is wired to the router.

Where to find the router settings: The router's login password is usually on one of the "Administration" pages. The other settings are all found in the "Wireless" section of the router's setup pages, located at 192.168.1.1

First, give your router a unique SSID. Don't use "linksys".
Make sure "SSID Broadcast" is set to "enabled".

Next, leave the router at its default settings (except for the unique SSID), and then use your pc to connect wirelessly to the router. Test your wireless Internet connection and make sure it is working correctly. You must have a properly working wireless connection before setting up wireless security.

To implement wireless security, you need to do one step at a time, then verify that you can still connect your wireless computer to the router.

Next, encrypt your wireless system using the highest level of encryption that all of your wireless devices will support. Common encryption methods are:

WEP - poor (see note below)
WPA (sometimes called PSK, or WPA with TKIP) - good
WPA2 (sometimes called PSK2, or WPA with AES) - best

WPA and WPA2 sometimes come in versions of "personal" and "enterprise". Most home users should use "personal". Also, if you have a choice between AES and TKIP, and your wireless equipment is capable of both, choose AES. With any encryption method, you will need to supply a key (sometimes called a "password" ).

The wireless devices (computers, printers, etc.) that you have will need to be set up with the SSID, encryption method, and key that matches what you entered in the router.

Retest your system and verify that your wireless Internet connection is still working correctly.

And don't forget to give your router a new login password.

Picking Passwords (keys): You should never use a dictionary word as a password. If you use a dictionary word as a password, even WPA2 can be cracked in a few minutes. When you pick your login password and encryption key (or password or passphrase) you should use a random combination of capital letters, small letters, and numbers, but no spaces. A login password, should be 12 characters or more. WPA and WPA2 passwords should be at least 24 characters. Note: Your key, password, or passphrase must not have any spaces in it.

Most home users should have their routers set so that "remote management" of the router is disabled. If you must have this option enabled, then your login password must be increased to a minumum of 24 random characters.

One additional issue is that Windows XP requires a patch to run WPA2.  To get the patch, upgrade your Windows XP to SP3.  Vista does not need a patch.

Note:
WEP is no longer recommended. The FBI has demonstrated that WEP can be cracked in just a few minutes using software tools that are readily available over the Internet. Even a long random character password will not protect you with WEP. You should be using WPA or preferably WPA2 encryption.
Carrot

Possibly while running the setup CD for the first time ... you had choosed the option for WPA key ... so it is asking for WPA key ....
So reset the router for few seconds & then try to reconfigure the router .....
peteheller

My router appears to refuse to accept WPA2 Personal or Enterprises.  When I select WPA2 the router simply refreshes the display back to WEP.  Any suggestions?  FYI, I just uploaded the 8.2 firmware successfully. 

Pete Heller
Expert
sabretooth

Peteheller,

What is your router model number and version number?

danncas

I have tried and tried to go from WEP to WPA it never works cant connect. Im not a novice I cant seem to figure out why. Had to go back to WEP  Linksys want 29 bucks just for a chat.  Last Linksys product for me.  WRT160N

Any ideas