1inNeedofHelp

I must turn a Linksys router into the access point for a Zoom X6 DSL Router / Modem

Where do I start? HA!? I have Verizon DSL (700kbps or so) through my phone line. I use 1 unit to get a connection to the internet: Zoom X6 ADSL Modem/Router. Yes, my phone line only connects to this box to get DSL. I use the PPPoE protocol with username and password. Problem: Antenna snapped while positioning (Silly ME!) - Gives out very weak signal from 10 - 20 feet away (1 or 2 bars) What I want to do: Use my new Linksys N Ultra Range Plus router as the Access Point for the Zoom router. If there is anyone out there who has done this before with ZOOM AND LINKSYS please tell me. I have gone thru so many tech support phone calls with Verizon, Zoom, Linksys, and others. It has made me very mad. I am like this little ping pong. Can't you guys just get together on a CONFERENCE CALL??!?! So. All that I know (LOL!) is that I need to put the Zoom X6 into "Bridged Mode" or what a Linksys technician told me: "Semi-Bridged Mode" or as I replied to him: "Half-Bridged Mode?". Response: Yes. So. I put it into bridged mode? Great. OK! (I am not certain which one. Ip + Nat? Pure Bridged? ect..) SO I tried Pure Bridged Mode, and went onto the Linksys's interface and tried putting PPPoE on, and User name & Password right. Does it work? NO. It does not work. It refreshes, and goes back to what it was before. I AM VERY VERY STRESSED. SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME! P.S. I tried the software that came with the Linksys. Scinario: It never finds the "New Linksys Router". I get mad. Very mad and I save this fun experience ahead for another day. But no, the Zoom will not work. Why? Because later on I figure out that the Zoom has 0.0.0.0 IN ITS WAN IP, AND 0.0.0.0 IN ITS WAN SUBNET MASK! So that little compilation of the Zoom, Linksys, and Setup CD made the ISP change my password. Now it works THANK GOD! So without any of this happening again, Suggestions?

Re: I must turn a Linksys router into the access point for a Zoom X6 DSL Router / Modem

In generally speaking about bridge mode you usually need to bridge the modem which is provided by the DSL company. Now I really have never dealt with Zoom, but you can see if these instructions will work.

• Access the Zoom modem’s web console entering the address 10.0.0.2 in your web browser.  The default User Name and Password are:
    • User Name = admin
    • Password = zoomadsl

Note: The default User Name and Password must be typed in lower case letters

The Basic Setup page appears. Click on the Advanced Setup icon.

• Click WAN Configuration. The WAN Configuration page appears. Make the following changes:
    • Encapsulation: 1483 Bridge LLC
    • VPI: 0  (or set to your providers specific setting)
    • VCI: 35  (or set to your providers specific setting)
    • Bridge: Enabled

Note: Make sure your VPI and VCI are set properly as per your Provider's specs.

• Click Save Changes and then Write Settings to Flash and Reboot.
  • After the modem is rebooted, click Advanced Setup again.
  • Click DHCP. The DHCP Configuration page appears.
  • Change the DHCP Mode to None.
  • Click Save Changes and then Write Settings to Flash and Reboot.

Now as far as the router goes, you will set up as follows.

1. open your Internet Explorer

2. type - 192.168.1.1 in to the address bar

3. A Linksys sign in box will open:  user name: leave it blank

Password:  admin

4. At the set up tab drop down the first box you see and choose: PPPoE

5. once that is done a box asking for a: User Name and Password will appear, this is were you will enter in the info from your DSL provider. Then check "Keep Connection Alive.

6. go to the bottom of the page and click on :save settings

7. Go to the status tab and if the Connect button is highlighted, click it. If you are unable to connect you will need to configure the DSL modem for Bridge Mode. This will vary in set-up as each DSL providers set-up screens will vary.

8. Close out of IE.

If you will provide us with your DSL providers Name and the make and model of the DSL modem, I may be able to provide you with instructions to follow.  If not then you will need to contact your DSL provider.

Note: Other than the above instructions  I really do not have any other info on zoom, so give it a try and see if it will work for you.

Good Luck,

Ttech 

DSE 1

Re: I must turn a Linksys router into the access point for a Zoom X6 DSL Router / Modem

Try this : Leave your modem like was originally and connect the Linksys router to the modem by connecting the LAN Ports. Or try this : just turn on the logs and it will go to the Internet Port, which is the connection that you are wanting to use.

saber_tooth

Try this setting ......
 Access the setup page of the router by launching an
Browser and type on the address bar, 192.168.1.1 and press enter. When
it prompts for the username and password, leave the username field
empty and provide password as "admin" (Without quotes)
click on ok.
On the main setup page the ""Internet Connection Type"" should be
on ""Obtain IP Automatically - DHCP “. Click on the Save Settings
button.
Now click on the sub tab ""MAC address clone"".
- Click on enable
Click Clone & click save settings
Check WAN Ip on Status page of router ....
If getting Valid Ip .... try going online
If not ... power cycle for 4-5 minutes & then agian check the WAN Ip address .....