Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Milwaukie

I need to limit the range of my wireless router WRT54G - Any ideas are appreciated.

I need to limit the range of my wireless router   WRT54G - Any ideas are appreciated.  I don't want to put on a password if I can avoid it.   Thanks for you advice in advance.  Milwaukie
toomanydonuts

Re: I need to limit the range of my wireless router WRT54G - Any ideas are appreciated.

Trying to confine a wireless signal to your home is not a practical solution to security concerns.  The distance that a wireless signal will travel is mainly limited by the receiving antena and sensitivity of the receiver.  An ordinary wireless receiver can probably pick up your signal for 200 to 1000 feet.  A great receiver could probably pick up your signal from a mile or more.  The best alternatives are:

a) convert your system to a wired system, or,
b) encrypt your wireless using a good encryption method (WPA or preferably WPA2) and use a strong password.

Milwaukie

Re: I need to limit the range of my wireless router WRT54G - Any ideas are appreciated.

Thanks!  The more I thought about the issue, the more I knew I was going to need a password.  Thanks for the confirmation.  :smileysurprised:)