poordna

I purchased a WRT54G and Hi Gain antennas and they do not fit!

[ Edited ]

When I pull the antennas on the WRT off, I see that they're hard wired to the router. I do not have TNC connectors on the router. What's the deal? The antenna package says they work with this router. They obviously don't. Thanks a lot, now I have to drive all the way back to Fry's and return them.

(Mod Note:Edited due to non-compliance of forum guidelines.)

Message Edited by OnnagokorO on 08-11-2007 09:18 PM
LRando

Re: I purchased a WRT54G and Hi Gain antennas and they do not fit!

I have the WRT54G also. The antennas don't "pull" off, they screw off. You have to unscrew them first, then screw the hi gain antenna on. I just did the same thing recently, although the hi gain antenna made no difference to my signal.
LarboNJ

[ Edited ]
The high gain antennas improved my signal here, the antenna stand is also a good addition to you setup.

Message Edited by LarboNJ on 08-12-2007 08:22 AM
LRando

I'm curious why none of these items seem to work for me? I have tried the extender and the high gain antennas. They make absolutely NO difference. When I am in my backyard w/my laptop, I get a low/very low signal. When I tried both the extender and the antenna, it stayed exactly the same. Why do others seem to have success and I can't seem to get any extra? I don't need anything major. Just to get o "good" would be fine. Any suggestions?
kenji

might have something to do with your wireless adapter's interaction with your wireless setup. try to use another laptop and compare the signal side by side.

you might also try changing your wireless settings: channel, beacon, rts and fragmentation threshold, etc.

how about updating your equipment: firmware for the router, drivers for the wireless adapter.
LarboNJ

I took  over a dozen strenght readings here inside and outside with a play station portable (PSP), before and after the antenna switch and in almost each case there was an increase in signal strenght, some were very small, the psp uses a percent value, though a dB option would be nice. To get a more accurate picture of whats happening try WirelessMon software,    http://www.passmark.com/products/wirelessmonitor.htm  
hope this helps.
LRando

[ Edited ]
I have tried updating the firmware on the router. Here is my post from this site
"I have a WRT54G. I went online and picked the firmware for it (Version 2). It gives me the info for where it will be downloaded to. It is a zip file so I click on "extract all files." Now when I go to the Linkys site and try to upgrade the firmware, I cannot find where it is on my computer. the location is
documents and settings\Lauri\localsettings\temporaryinternetfiles\content.IE5\L48R5TB\WRT54G\etc etc. When "browsing" from the Linksys site, I can get as far as the "Lauri" part. But when I click Lauri...there is not "Local settings" file for me to open next. I am lost as to what is going on. I can go to my computer itself and see the downloaded info. But then cannot locate it once I go online to Linksys. I have Windows XP. Any help is appreciated."
So that has been a bust so far. When you say drivers for the wireless device...would that be the laptop? I have taken my son's outside and he gets a bit better reading than I do. None of the things I have tried have increased his readings outside either though.
When you say "you might also try changing your wireless settings: channel, beacon, rts and fragmentation threshold, etc." Is this all found on the router website? Or on the laptop itself. My son does get a better signal but I assumed he might have a better wireless card.
 hate to mess around w/things too much because I usually end up screwing it up! :smileyhappy:
Thanks for any suggestions!

Message Edited by LRando on 08-12-2007 08:31 PM
LRando

I have actually located where all of this info is on the router website. My settings now are:
Beacon interval: 100
Fragmentation threshold: 2346
RTS threshold: 2347
Channel is 11 (2.462Ghz)
What changes would you suggest? Would I have to make any changes to the laptops accesing this router? Thanks for your help!
kenji

try to set beacon:50, rts threshols:2304, fragmentation threshold:2304.

observe the connection for a period of time and then try using other channels.
LRando

Will do. I am still having trouble w/the firmware update. I find the update for my version 2 online. I download. I then extract all files. But when I go to internet and click "browse" I cannot for the life of me find these files. When it first downloads, it opens up in Notepad. Had 3 boxes there. On the left it says "extract all fles." I click on this. It supposedly sends it to my documents & Settings file. I cannot find it though. AAAHHH