Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Writersbloc

I reset my WRT54G and now I can't get online.

[ Edited ]
I did a factory reset of my WRT54G v.2 last night after I was unable to access the router's setting to set up a WEP password (couldn't remember login/pass and the default login wasn't working) and now I can not connect to the internet through my router.

-I have no problem getting online when I run directly through my DSL modem.

-I called my ISP to see what they recommended- someone told me perhaps a modem reset would help. I'm on a DSL modem, which they had me configure to PPOE. I set up the router for PPOE under the basic settings tab, adding my user name and password. I changed no other settings. Basically my ISP said everything was normal on their end.

-I've Downloaded the firmware and updated that through the router

-When the router is fully connected there are no light anomalies that I know of (WLAN light and 1 & 2 ports are solid, internet light blinks once every 5 seconds or so).

-I've tried powering down, unplugging, and waiting- all the usual tips.

-My wireless computers acknowledge the router's existence, but like the wired computers, are unable to connect to the internet.

-On my network's properties the number of packets sent and received climbs at a very small rate, but they do increase (I'm told that activity is a good sign).

-One of the oddest things is, when I attempt to run the installation software, when connected to the internet directly through my modem, as suggested by the installation wizard, the first step that attempts to check for an internet connection says it can't find a connection even though I can browse the web perfectly fine.
EDIT: I think this might be caused by my ethernet cable/network running through a secondary port in the back of my PC. The start up disk is looking for a signal from the default/1st port and therefore getting no connection, even though my computer is online. Will have to check this later.

-When connected to my modem, I run cmd then ipconfig, my IP address is
192.168.1.13, is there something I need to do with this in the router set up?

Does anyone have any idea what I could be doing differently? I've reset my router before and never been this stuck. I called customer support but they basically wanted $40 to troubleshoot my router as the warranty has expired and I'd almost rather just buy a new one.

Message Edited by Writersbloc on 09-24-2008 08:46 PM

Message Edited by Writersbloc on 09-25-2008 08:22 AM
richard804

Re: I reset my WRT54G and now I can't get online.

[ Edited ]
Your modem and router are using the same IP address.
Disconnect your modem and connect your router to your computer.
Input 192.168.1.1 in your browser.
A box will appear asking for your username and password.  Leave username blank and use admin as password.  The setup page will appear.  Change the router's local IP address to 192.168.2.1 then click on save.
Reconnect modem to router.
Go to wireless tab and change the SSID to something other than Linksys.  Ex. Yankee.  Click on Save.
Go to wireless security tab.  Change mode to WPA2 Personal.  Do not use WEP as it is not secured.  RCMP have proven that this code can be broken in minutes.  Change Algorithms to TKIP+AES.  Make up a passphrase in WPA Shared Key.  Click on Save.  Copy these settings on a piece of paper.
Go to Adminitration and change your password from admin to something else.  Click on Save.
Now log out of router.
Now go to view wireless network in your computer.  Your new network should appear. Ex.: Yankee Secured network.
It will asks you for the passphrase or key.  Use the one you setup in your router.  If you cannot connect, you will have to change the settings for your wireless adapter to the settings in your router.  Do this step on all wireless computers on your system.

Message Edited by richard804 on 09-25-2008 06:50 AM
Greetings from Northern Ontario, Canada
Writersbloc

[ Edited ]
Thanks for the help Richard. You were right, clearly my modem and router were using the same IP address, unfortunately switching my router's local address did not give me internet access.

I tried 192.168.2.1 and then 192.168.5.1 and neither worked.

Not sure if this matters, but in Modem Consule settings my ISP had me go into the WAN configuration and set the "Encapsulation" to PPPoE LLC and "Bridge" to disabled. Anything usual about those settings for a PPPoE configuration?

Like I said, I haven't messed with any of the router's settings outside of entering in my username/password for PPPoE configuration and change the local IP address as per your direction.

EDIT:

Here are some screen shots I took of the linksys setup and as well as the DSL modem.

http://i490.photobucket.com/albums/rr270/SukarUDL/Linksys.jpg
http://i490.photobucket.com/albums/rr270/SukarUDL/Modem.jpg

Message Edited by Writersbloc on 09-25-2008 08:13 AM
richard804

You have to change your router's IP address to be able to access it.  It will not give you the internet.
Your modem is actually a modem/router.
Log on to your router and change two settings.
Change the setting in Setup from PPPoE to Automatic Configuration-DHCP and click on save.
Click on Advance Routing and change the setting from Gateway to Router then click on save.
dibbler

Click on MAC address clone under setup tab ... click enable & click clone ...click save settings ... Check the IPaddress under WAN page ....
If getting IP in public range .... try going online ....
Writersbloc

[ Edited ]
"You have to change your router's IP address to be able to access it. It will not give you the internet."

I'm not sure what that means Richard, but I did change the router's IP address from 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.5.1- isn't that what you meant in your first post. I know that isn't reflected in my screen capture that I took last night, but I did do that this morning after I read your post.

"Log on to your router and change two settings.
Change the setting in Setup from PPPoE to Automatic Configuration-DHCP and click on save.
Click on Advance Routing and change the setting from Gateway to Router then click on save."

I did this and still same results as far as I can tell. Can't get online through the router.

"Click on MAC address clone under setup tab ... click enable & click clone ...click save settings ... Check the IPaddress under WAN page ....
If getting IP in public range .... try going online ...."

I tried this- at least to the part about checking the IP address under WAN. I assume you mean the WAN page in the modem setup- nothing looked any different after trying what you suggested, and I'm not really sure where I would be "getting IP in public range" or what that means.

I'm about to give up and just buy a new router to see if I can get the same lack of results with a different one. My ISP maintains that everything is set up correctly on their end and really can't do anything more for me. The Modem works and is set up correctly and they can give tech support for a router.

Here's what my basic setup looks like now:
http://i490.photobucket.com/albums/rr270/SukarUDL/BasicSetup.png

Here's what the advanced tab looks like now:
http://i490.photobucket.com/albums/rr270/SukarUDL/AdvancedRouting.png

Modem setup looks the same

Message Edited by Writersbloc on 09-25-2008 07:05 PM
Writersbloc

I also tried using the install disk on multiple computers, each individually connected to the modem 1 at a time, completely able to connect to the web, but would return this error:

http://i490.photobucket.com/albums/rr270/SukarUDL/Setup.png

I have no idea why the setup would be unable to find an internet connection when I clearly have one....

Beginning to feel like giving Linksys $40 to fix this would be worth it just to find out what was wrong...
richard804

You want to hear something weird; I am having a similar problem.  I have Linksys Easy Link Advisor (LELA) installed and it is showing that I have no Internet connection even though my Internet is working with any problems.  You are located in the US while I am in Canada.  My ISP's Service Status page is showing a problem in this part of the country.
dibbler

Hey try resetting the router reset button in such a way that power
light is blinking on the router & then do a complete network power
cycle i.e., unplug the power cables from the modem & from the router &
then plug in the power cable to the modem first once all the lights are
solid green you could plug in the power cable to the router & check out
it will definately work!!
According to your Internet Service Provider try configuring your modem & you will be able to go online wired as well as wireless without any issue.