Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
rhendrix9

IP Address conflict

I changed my router IP address to 192.168.10.1.

Now, Some of my computers are getting a msg "Windows has detected an IP address conflict"

I have tried ipconfig /release

How do I find out why/where the conflict is?

If I change the IP back to default will more problems arise?

What is the best way to straighten this out?

Thanks

Expert
sabretooth

Re: IP Address conflict

Well first of all, why did you change it?  Did you power off ALL devices and reboot all devices?  Just leave it default.

meegosh

I agree with sabretooth. Just leave it on it's default settings and simply set the network devices to DHCP mode or Obtain IP and DNS automatically. By default, router's DHCP range is 50 so I guess, that would be enough for your network devices.

---
If everyone needs to believe in something, I believe I'll have another beer..

rhendrix9

[ Edited ]

I changed it because AT&T said I could not use the default IP with thier equipment. I have since change my internet service to comcast. And since I've already changed it, it's to late to "leave it at default"

i have no problem with it being at default, but will another change mess me up again?

Expert
jlbjlb

It's impossible to say if using the default 192.168.1.1 will cause problems with your Comcast modem since you didn't reveal the model # of your Comcast modem. We have no idea if Comcast gave you a modem or a modem/router. If Comcast gave you a modem/router that has default IP address of 192.168.1.1 then yes, it will cause problems if you use that same address on you linksys.

You didn't even bother to post what model of linksys.
Expert
sabretooth

Comcast modems are usually 192.168.100.1.  All is fine.

rhendrix9

[ Edited ]

Sorry, I already know there is no problem with the Comcast modem so i didn't see a need to bring it up.  My internet access is fine.

My original concern/post involved some of my computers on my network getting the conflict.  And my latest question was if I set the router to the default IP (change it again) will the just cause other computers to get the conflict.

Sorry if I am not being very clear, feel free to ignore my posts.

Expert
sabretooth

Short answer, no.  You should be fine.

Expert
jlbjlb

According to the Comcast website, if you have a modem/router, then the default Ip address of the comcast router is 10.0.0.1. So 192.168.1.1 should be fine for the linksys no matter what modem you have from comcast.

http://customer.comcast.com/help-and-support/internet/comcast-supported-routers-gateways-adapters/

Jake_2.0

That message is actually normal for a router that acts as a DHCP server and to a windows computer. You can perhaps assign a manual ip address or reserved an ip address for each computer.