tfmurphhk

IP Address shows wrong physical location

I just installed a WRT160Nv3 wireless router.  Prior to that I had a 54g router from Linksys.

Prior to the install, all the websites that I visit, which show where you live (meetup.com for example) were showing me in Palm Beach Gardens, FL.. which is correct.  

Suddenly with the new router it is showing me as being in Kendal, FL... which is no where near me. 

What's up with that.

I know that in the past my IP address was 76.108.213.196 - now with the new router it is showing as 75.74.214.157

Why the change.. and how do I set it back to the correct Palm Beach Gardens IP address.

Thanks

Tom

Ranger69

Re: IP Address shows wrong physical location

me too, but i have wrtn160 version 1.02 2

wireless connections say LAN 

THEN later on it changes to WAN.

wbundrick

Your IP address probably changed because your ISP assigns IP addresses based on MAC address, but your new router's MAC address doesn't match that of the old router. Since routers have MAC address cloning, if you can make it the same as the old router then chances are you may get your old IP address back, but only if it hasn't already been reassigned to someone else.

As for location, those geographic IP lookups are often not very accurate, nor can they be when the IP address has just been assigned to you. Maybe the last person who had that address was indeed in Kendal. Maybe eventually they will learn somehow that the IP address is now in Palm Beach Gardens. Personally I feel that 20 miles is about as accurate as I'd like the internet to know where I am.

tfmurphhk

So I assume there is no way for me to change it.. fix it?  Has to be an action on the part of Comcast?

Tom

vai_fan

The IP address which you are getting it on the Router Status tab, you are getting that IP address from your ISP. As most of the ISP they provide you a Dynamic IP, So it keeps on Changing frequently, Sometimes May be after a Week or my be after 10days.

So that's the reason its showing you a different location. 

Expert
Expert

There is no fix to this. You can tell the service tries to map IP addresses to locations to fix their service. But that's it.

An ISP can assign any IP address they have registered at any location they want. They are free to move IP addresses from one location to another if they need more IP addresses in the other location. They could move your old IP address to California next week if it was necessary. The ISP is not required to publish the information where they some IP addresses. They are not required to update the databases of the IP location services in the internet to give them accurate information.

Determining the location of a specific IP address involves a lot of guesswork and the results will have a lot of errors. There is nothing you can do about it except not relying on information of these kind of services.
Ranger69

Obviously, peeps above are confused.

wrtn160 router management states:

whether a device on local network is lan or wireless

obviously lan will be connected via ethernet,  and wireless ...you know

since the router is dhcp enabled and ip are reserved, then the router should know which device is connected via ethernet media or wireless.

this device does the job, but is really not all that smart....

it often logs/reports wireless devices as having ethernet connection versus actual wireless.

cisco programmers could fix all issues really quick...but they are too busy 

Expert
Expert

No. It's actually you who confused things here. The original post was clearly about the services which map public IP addresses to physical locations. Your problem has nothing to do with this thread. If you think it's a problem you should contact Linksys support. In this forum, there is only community not official support.
Ranger69

This often happens with Time Warner.

One way to quickly resolve the issue and get you back to your old ip address would be to clone your mac address from your old router.

I've noticed you'll get one ip address if you connect your computer directly to your modem and a completely different one when you connect another device/pc/mac or router to the modem.

Make sure you put your modem on standby before switching devices connect directly to the modem. 

In most cases, if too much time has past since you had your old router connected, then the ip address may be assigned to another modem on you internet carriers network.

Time Warner Usually Reserves the assigned ip address from anywhere between 7-14 days before putting it back into the pool of reserve ip address for modems coming online.