Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
madmax27

IPod Touch cannot access the server

I have been trying for days to get the kids IPod Touch to work with the Linksys Wireless-G Broadband router (WRT54G).  The IPod is receiving a strong signal, but when we try to access the Internet the following appears, "Safari can't open the page because it can't find the server".

On the Apple.com tips page it shows how the WI-Fi Network setting page should look on the IPod with the DHCP option i.e., IP address, Subnet Mask, Router and DNS all have data assigned to them.  When I access this page with the IPod and select the Linksys network, it provides an IP address and a Subnet mask with data, but there is not data provided for the Router or DNS  options.  

I do not know if this my problem or not, but I have tried talking to Apple with no avail, and the 1-800 number for Linksys is always busy.  So this forum is kind of my last option.  Has anyone else dealt with this problem and if so, how was it resolved.   If directions are provided, please be very specific and simple, I do not have my PhD in computer engineering yet.
SMLeBlanc

Re: IPod Touch cannot access the server

I am experiencing the same issues. The iTouch shows a strong signal, but Safari is indicating that it can't connect. I've had my router for some time and it works great for both laptops. Any solutions would be greatly appreciated.
iloveoak

I have had the same problems reported but finally figured it out. I have a Linksys G router so this is what I did. I decided to start from scratch so I turned off security and enabled the SSID so the IPOD could see the network. Once connected, this can be turned off again.

Whatever your settings are, this is going back to basics, and if your router is not set up as described, you may want to check it out. Otherwise, your neighbor should be thanking you for a free ride to the internet. If your settings are already set up as described, use what

you already have. I have my router set up to be a DHCP server which gives the IP to the IPOD.

1) sign in to your router via Exploror, firefox, etc.
2) go to the tabs Wireless/Basic wireless Settings. Set the Wireless SSID Broadcast to Enable. Save the change.
3)Now go to the Wireless Security tab and set the Security mode to Disable. Save the change.
4) Go to the Wireless MAC filter tab. Set the Wireless MAC Filter to Disable. Save the change.

5) Now go to your IPOD and WI-FI settings. You should see the name that your Router is broadcasting. Select it and the Check Mark should appear by the name. Now go to Safari and bring up a URL site. This should be working. If not, try resetting the network settings on the IPOD. If your router is set for DHCP broadcast, and if you go into the IPOD settings you will see the IP address that was assigned. Make a note of this IP as it will be used later to help identify the IPOD's MAC address.

6) If you can connect, we'll now add security back in. The steps below should be turned on to lock down your network. I also suggest to change the Master Login and password for the Linksys Router.

6b) While your at it, on the router go to Status/Local Network and click DHCP Clients Table. If you compare the IP address you got on your IPOD with the one in here, write down the MAC address next to it. This is your IPOD's MAC address. This will be used to put in the another
table.

** Now Let's Lock it Down. **

7) Go to the tab as in step 2 and disable your SSID. Make sure you can still browse. Turn off the IPOD and reconnect to make sure you can still browse.

8) Go to the tab as in step 3. Set the security mode to WEP. Set the Default Transmit key to 1. Set the encryption to 128 bits. Put in a Passphrase off choice. Example, 'IPODisforme'. Hit the Generate button. The value you get in Key 1 is the PASSWORD the IPOD keeps asking for. Save the settings. Turn off the IPOD and connect to your router. It should now ask for the Password. Put in the 26 Hex Digits. I'm not sure if they are case sensitive, I put in upper for the letters. Once done, you should be able to browse, still.

9) You should now have SSID turned off, WEP enabled, now the last step is to only permit the MAC address of devices you want on your network.

10) Go to Wireless/Wireless MAC Filter and select the Wireless MAC fileter to Enabled. Also make sure the Permit Only is set. Go to the Edit MAC Filter List and put in the MAC address you copied down earlier. Make sure you Save the change. Try the IPOD again.

11) That's it. Hopefully it's all working fine. I hope this helps some of you who are having

problems. Good Luck.
flashman182

hi i read your response, i am having the exact same problem with the same router. i did not understand your first 4 instructions. i am not all the computer smart. where exactly do i go to find the "tabs." i have been getting very frustrated with getting my ipod touch to work and really appreciate the help. and again i'm kind of an idiot with computers so the more detailed the better. Thanks!!!
iloveoak

You need to refer to the manual that you got with the router. It shows the various screens and TABS that you click to drill down to the next display. Along with that and following the instructions I've given, you should be able to solve this. You have to be signed into the router. The manual shows how to do this and be sure to change the user name and password. Write it down in the manual so you don't loose it. I'm sorry that I can't provide more details but I would be somewhat redundant showing the same screens as in the Router's Manual. When you gain access to the router, just follow what I'm saying and you'll be able to perform the steps as described. I'm assuming from your email that you have never been in the router so you may want to skip that first section and follow the last while you're turning on security. As I said earlier, if you don't lock it down, neighbors can use your system to ride the internet and possibly look at you files on the computer. Take care and good luck.
CPWalker

I hope you're logged back in to see this answer...

I had the exact same problem and here's the easiest solution.

The problem that exists is that your iPod touch does NOT see the IP address of your router.

Here's how you fix it:

Step 1:  Go to settings in the iPod touch (Make sure you're within range of your wireless network)

Step 2:  Find the network you want to connect to (SSID)--whatever you named your home network.

Step 3:  Press the blue arrow for your network

Step4:  Select "manual" connect

Step 5:  For IP address enter the generic IP address for the iPod touch:

It is either:  192.168.1.106

or

Step 6:  Set submask to 255.255.255

Step 7:  put your routher IP address in the block labeled "router"--If you don't know this address, go to "click" on your "Easy Link Advisor" icon on your hardwired computer and you'll be able to find this address.

Once you type this in--your good--you should connect.

If it is your fist time you'll be asked for the 25 digit encryption key--the same one you used when you setup your network.

Once you've done this the iPod touch will connect everytime
flashman182

it still didn't work. it still says its can't find the server. i think i have to change some settings on my router. does anyone have any ideas?
LouLou

I could not get my IPOD touch to get internet. I tried you step by step instructions and it works!  My IPOD now gets internet!  THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!
Lou

[ Edited ]
OMG! I am doing backflips for joy now! Thank you iloveoak.... This worked!  If anyone else is tyring to use the Linksys WRT54G (or maybe other routers, I don't really know, since this is all new to me!).. and wants to use their iPod Touch wi-fi ,...then your step by step answers in post #3 above are PERFECT! I've been spending all day today working on it and been all over the internet looking for info... nothing helped me, but your steps got it working! I am thrilled! Thank you so much for your post (FYI did not want to re: post here in my reply due to space)!

Message Edited by SchubieIsland on 01-13-2008 07:06 PM
tfritz

I got an ipod touch for xmas and can't figure out how to connect to the Lynksys network. I have no trouble connecting at my parents house but they don't have a Lynksys. I am computer dumb so if anyone has any ideas, please make them simple. Thanks in advance.