Re: IPod Touch cannot access the server

I was also having difficulty with accessing my iPod Touch to the internet server via my home Linksys router. Your instructions were very helpful and I was able to "get connected". However, I have one query plus one new problem.
The query:  At the end, you did not got back to Wireless/Basic Settings and change Wireless SSID Broadcast back to "Enable" from "Disable". Why? Does it need to stay "Disabled". If so, why?
The problem: My wife has a MAC laptop. Once I was able to get my iPod connected, her connection was lost. I was not too sure how to rectify this so both devices are properly working (connected) at the same time. I fiddled with the Linksys configuration settings in similar fashion for the iPod (going through to Wireless/Security and adding a new Passphrase for the laptop, generating and getting a new Key 1 for the laptop). This got the laptop seeing the wireless signal, but then it was asking me for a password. I thought it might have been the Key 1, but was not accepted. So, it was either my wife's laptop or the iPod (a hard decision). So, I am back at square one. Suggestions?

My BAD! Forgot that last step. Yes, shut down SSID. This helps keep you out of sight but if you put in the MAC address and allow only those to connect, you're still ok. SSID should be enabled. For any device that needs to connect to the router, the Router is where the key is created and this information is put in the external devices such as your laptop. You need to turn on WEP on the laptop, put in which key index your are going to use (1 to 4), and the password for the index you are using. You can set the laptop to index 1, then put in the 26 digit password for index 1, and that should be it. Remember, the security information comes from the Router, not the laptop, so use the Routers information for all other devices. Hope this helps.

I have done every step multiple times, but I'm still not able to connect to server.  Is there something else that I'm missing?  I know that the ipod works as it connects to my work network easily.

Thanks

Not sure what the problem is. Sounds like the router is still blocking the ipod. Make sure you are saving the router configuration after each change. If you turn everything off on the router as stated earlier, the ipod should connect. Have you tried to reset the ipod and start again? Sorry I can't more help but since I can't see both devices, it makes it difficult to troubleshoot. But, based on what you stated, the router is where I would focus. Once you turn on SSID, turn off WEP, and the rest of it, save changes, get out and go back into the router to verify. Pay close attention to what state the settings should be. Good luck.

New Update. I went thru the process again and did verify that when you enter the Key 1 Security code for the WEP key, it must be in Caps. So for each alpha character, you must hit the Shift key since it's only good for one entry. If you do the earlier steps to turn on SSID, turn off WEP security and MAC address filtering, save the Router information each time. When the router has been opened (so to speak), turn off the IPOD, turn it on, select the name of the router that you gave it, and try Safari. This should work. The router must be set up to do DHCP, this means it gives the connecting device an IP address. Once this works, start locking the router down. You must be careful when you enter the WEP key 1 values. Push the correct key and hold to make sure you have the right one before you let go. Take your time and it will work. Remember that you must access and work with your router settings. It's not hard, just take your time. Good luck all.

iloveaoak: Thanks for your interest in curing this problem. My brother-in-law who is much more computer knowledgable than I rolled into town from a business trip and was able to fix the problem in short order. Can't explain why the iPod would not see the router, each time only getting a "169" IP address, but he simply selected the "Forget this Network" option, then re-entered the network name and password (key) and it found the connection, getting a "192" IP address; basically overriding the connection being offered (I'm guessing)..  TheiPod seems to be happy now and so am I.  Thanks again for your advice.

i have followed all of the steps that iloveoak has given and it was a success at first but after locking up and everything it was fine until i restarted my touch after that the ip on the touch has changed to 169.254........ and i cannot connect to the internet with this ip on my ipod touch

This usually happens when any device does not get a valid IP address from the router. The 169.254. is a default that is put in via the IPOD itself. I've seen this on my PC when the router was no longer functioning. I suggest you check the MAC settings that you put in. Make sure you have the box checked to ALLOW these MAC addresses. If that's ok, turn off the MAC filtering and try the IPOD again. You should get a 192.168.x.x value. If this happens, the MAC address may have been entered wrong. Start from the end and work back until the IPOD is happy. If that doesn't work, turn off WEP. If it works with WEP turned off, try enabling MAC filter again to narrow it down. Good Luck.

Has anybody figured out the reason iPods have such a terrible time with Linksys routers? It doesn't seem to have a problem with Cisco or Netgear, yet I too have seen this issue. The only thing I can think of is that it may have a problem with the security. The reason I say this is that Linksys is very popular as a home networking router, and that home networks are most commonly both WEP protected and MAC filtered. has somebody tried to put the connectivity through the gauntlet by disabling one, the other, and then both while keeping SSID out of the picture?

[ Edited ]
Following up to my own message, and a polite request for help. I've never seen a wireless device with this sort of problem outside of a bad wireless NIC. The core problem here is that the IPod cannot connect to the Linksys WRT54G at all unless it is within 5 feet of the wireless antenna. The IPod shows only one bar of connection strength even though the MBP sitting right next to it is working fine with an excellent signal. I've even had neighbors in my apartment complex up to 250 feet away from the router ask me if it was my router because they were able to see my SSID broadcast from their devices. The problem is not signal strength. What gets me is that we didn't have this problem when we first got the IPod. It maintains no connection problems with any other model router, and can establish a direct wireless connection with any other computer in the house. Here's what I've done, in every permutation, all with desperate failure:
1) Cycled through all of the available broadcast frequencies
2) Cycled through all of the available transmission rates
3) Toggled SSID on - off
4) Toggled WEP on - off
5) Toggled Mac Filter on - off
6) Changed router position and orientation

Please tell me that I've tried everything so I can go to Apple Developer Forums and tell them that the most recent release of the IPod software seems to contain incompatibilities with the current Linksys firmware. Or, better yet, tell me what I'm doing wrong so I can fix it and make my wife infinitely more happy.

Message Edited by Trey Holliday on 03-08-2008 11:17 AM