Gaara021

Intermittent Connection with WRT120N router

Hi, I recently bought a WRT-120N router a week ago for my friends and I to use the internet wirelessly. The package I got supposed to give me speeds up to 25Mbps but I can only access these speeds when I'm directly connected to the router via a cable. When I try to connect wirelessly the connection cuts off every 5 mins or so and the speed is less than a fifth of what it's supposed to be even when my computer is the only one on the network. I want to be able to allow everyone equal access to the full speeds when connected wirelessly and not have it cut off every 5 mins. Also, the wireless internet seems to work better for everyone else when I'm connected using the cable but I want to have it in such a way that even when I'm not there everyone can still access the full speeds. I've tried changing the channel for the router and changing the default i.p. so far. Please help. Thanks in advance.

oook

Re: Intermittent Connection with WRT120N router

It seems that the wireless connection might be dropping on your router.

Try to upgrade/re-flash the firmware on the router. Download the latest firmware of the router from the Linksys website.

While upgrading the firmware of the router, your computer must be connected to the router with the Ethernet cable. 

Open the router configuration page. Go to the Administration tab and click on Firmware upgrade sub tab. Browse the Firmware file that you have already downloaded on your computer and upgrade the firmware on your router.

After upgrading the firmware of the router, it is recommended that you should reset the router and reconfigure the router.

Press and hold the reset button on the router for 10 seconds. Release the reset button and wait for 10 seconds. Power cycle the router. Now reconfigure the router.