Highlighted

Internet speeds slowing down when WiFi enabled

[ Edited ]

I have both the WRT54G and a E1000 wireless routers and this problem is occurring for both of them.

I use AT&T DSL and the speeds are fine when it is :

1. Not plugged into router

2. Wireless Network Mode is disabled through the router configuration page, having all devices wired.

However when wireless network mode is enabled, speeds drop significantly, 15~17 ms ping goes to 250~800 ping, and download speeds are way lower also. When the router is reset, the regular speeds will return for maybe 30 seconds to 1 minute, then it'll drop back down. I'm positive there's no outsiders connected to my network and this problem still occurs, only when the router is giving out wireless signals. Sometimes the problem randomly goes away for a while but it will always come back. I've tried many things, firmware upgrades, factory restore, none of them seem to work, the only solution so far has been to disabling it, but I need it to be on as there are other devices in other rooms of the house that need WiFi to connect to the internet.

Expert

Re: Internet speeds slowing down when WiFi enabled

Try these settings in the routers:

Disable UPnP.  Under wireless settings Beacon Interval 50, RTS and Fragmentation threshold 2304.  Try channel 1 or 11.  Then try MTU at 1365.  Save settings.  Let us know.

Changed channel to 11 and all those settings.

Problem went away for about 10 minutes, but that happens when i pretty much change any setting, still comes back .

whatsupman wrote:

Changed channel to 11 and all those settings.

Problem went away for about 10 minutes, but that happens when i pretty much change any setting, still comes back .

Do you have other devices around? A phone? Microwave oven? If they are 2.4GHZ it will still get you disconnected unfortunately. Routers of this kind are of standard so you might want to check that too.

"The war between heaven and hell depends on the choices we make, and those choices require sacrifice. That's the test"

[ Edited ]

Hm, there's a phone, not sure if it's 2.4 ghz but it's on the other side of the room.

The other router is 2.4ghz and is close to it but it's not even powered on.

There aren't any disconnections either, this setup use to have no problems, I don't think I changed anything around it.

whatsupman wrote:

Hm, there's a phone, not sure if it's 2.4 ghz but it's on the other side of the room.

The other router is 2.4ghz and is close to it but it's not even powered on.

If the phone is off then we can get that out of the equation, how about your routers? how are they connected? Are they cascaded or are they on separate Interntet connection lines?

"The war between heaven and hell depends on the choices we make, and those choices require sacrifice. That's the test"

Oh I'm only using one, just saying I've tried both and the problem occurs for either of them.

Have you ever considered this maybe as normal behavior on your connection? The router after all is sharing the internet connection with other clients. Does it crawl that it almost cripples the entire network?! Are you not able to get online when you connect your wireless devices to it?! Wireless LANs suffer a few more reliability problems than wired LANs, though perhaps not enough to be a significant concern to tell you honestly. Wireless connections is approximately half the bandwidth of Fast Ethernet in reality but it can be slower depending on environmental conditions.

[ Edited ]

No, this has been working fine for years, all of a sudden this had happened. I'm always able to get online, it does not disconnect, regardless of how slow it becomes. When the network mode is enabled, any type of connection is slow, wired or wireless, but when it's disabled, the connection is always fast, regardless of however many devices are plugged into it, however there would be no WiFi connectivity. Just seeing if there is any reason that this is happening, my speeds may randomly return while wireless is enabled, such as right now, but I'm certain that the slow speeds will return.

Well since you already used 2 routers in this case, can it be the connection that is causing this? Have you monitored your connection with just the modem? Can you run tests when it happens then remove the router and directly connect to see if the modem connection is funky?