Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Coogan
Accepted Solution

Iphone4 to Linksys WRT54G

Hi there all,

I am trying to sync my Iphone 4 up to my home wireless network - WRT54G.

I am able to access my Linksys details, but for the life of me I don't know what the password is, or where I can find it.  A friend set up my network a few years ago. 

Is the WEP key what I am looking for?  If not, how can I find out what my password is?

Any pointers would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Coogan

Re: Iphone4 to Linksys WRT54G

Anyone out there? 

Brenda

[ Edited ]

the default IP address of the router is 192.168.1.1 and to log in to the routers setting's page it will ask you username and PW (unless it was changed by your friend)...

using a pc that is directly connected to the router and internet is working

username: leave it blank

PW: admin

go to the wireless settings. and there you will see your WEP

I have seen the WEP and put that in as my password, ( I used the one at the top of the list) but it doesn't accept it. 

Is the WEP the password though?

ARCHANGEL_06

Can you check again? it should be 16 or 32 characters.. hexadecimal... wep key 1... or maybe you should use WPA instead and type in your own password there.

"Sometimes your knight in shining armor is just a retard in tin foil.."-ARCHANGEL_06
Coogan

WEP Key 1 (as all the other do) has ony 10 characters, made up of letters and numbers.

By the way, WEP Encryption says: "64 bits 10 hex digits" (in case that's relevant)

If I drop down the menu where WEP is selected (Security Mode), the WPA options are

WPA Pre-Shared Key or WPA Radius.  Which one do I select, then what do I do and do I have to change anything else. 

As you've probably gathered, total novice here, so please use 'idiot-speak' - I won't be offended!!

Thanks for your help so far guys.

ARCHANGEL_06

Oh yeah its been ages since I've used wep, it is 10 letters and numbers... try using WPA Pre Shared Key and type in your own password there. It's more secure. Save it then try connecting again with your devices using that same password you typed in.

"Sometimes your knight in shining armor is just a retard in tin foil.."-ARCHANGEL_06
Coogan

Thanks, I'll give that a go, but before I do, can I run this by you.

I have selected WPA Pre-Shared Key, this is what else is shown:

WPA Algorithms: TKIP

WPA Shared Key: *********** (incidentally the same password I have tried and was rejected)  Is this what I change?

Group Key Renewal: 3600 seconds

What SHOULD  I do?

Thanks again.

ARCHANGEL_06

Yes that's it.

Click here for instructions on WPA

Just follow the six steps...

Coogan

OK, I tried and failed!!!

I changed the shared key password, saved settings, tried to connect my Iphone using same password, then it says it failed to connect to network.

Should I have rebooted the router?

Sorry to be a pain in the butt!!