Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
menk
Accepted Solution

Is two networks with different WEP/WPA encryptions possible?

Hello I have the wireless wrh54g in my desktop pc using the WPA encryption and I have a laptop which can only accept WEP. How can I add another network in the Preferred Networks with the WEP encryption to accommodate my laptop? Please advise. Thanks. Menk
Expert
Expert

Re: Is two networks with different WEP/WPA encryptions possible?

You can't. The WRH54G only supports a single radio, a single SSID, and single wireless security settings. You either set the whole network to WEP and risk it that someone cracks your wireless networks or you leave it at WPA and upgrade the laptop with a wireless card/adapter which supports WPA (unless of course, there is a driver upgrade or similar available for the card in the laptop).
menk

Hello gv Thanks for your quick response and suggestion. But pl clarify too the purpose of the 4 ports in the router. Are they for cabling to other PCs using the same single security setting? Cheers!
Expert
Expert

[ Edited ]
The wireless security settings only apply to wireless links to the router, i.e. wireless computers or other wireless devices. Through these wireless links those devices connect to the LAN and through the router to the internet.

The wired ports on the router connect to the same LAN. Wired computers connect through the LAN and the router to the internet. There are no specific security settings for those wired ports. However has physical access to the router and those ports has access to the LAN. The wireless security settings have nothing to do with the wired ports. For instance, you could connect a wired network printer to one of the ports. You can also connect a desktop with a ethernet card to one of the ports. The desktop and a laptop connected wireless to the router can use the network printer. Both can also access the internet through the router.

Message Edited by gv on 09-25-2008 05:44 PM
menk

Thanks again for sharing, gv. BTW, where can I locate Edit My Account for password change? I don't see that in any of the tabs under My Profile.
Expert
Expert

Go to www.linksys.com. User the customer login link at the top right. After you have logged in there you can edit your linksys profile.
menk

Thank you, you have a satisfied customer!
antonio2nd

Thanks for the information.
Expert
sabretooth

One thing you might be able to do is add a PCMCIA or USB adapter and disable the internal one.  Now you should have the ability to handle the newer encryption types.
Expert
kent07

This message has been moved to Network Adapters under Wireless Adapters.