Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
peppergomez

Issues connecting to guest account using Linksys Smart WiFi

[ Edited ]

If anyone has experience either using or setting up a Linksys Guest Wi-Fi account, I'd greatly appreciate some help.

My neighbor very kindly gave me the password for his wireless guest account so that I can use when I need to. (I downgraded my internet with TWC to the cheapest option, so I have no wireless, and will use his for my iPad and laptop). He has a Linksys EA-6500 router.

The problem I am encountering on both my laptop, desktop (when using it to troubleshoot this issue), both using Windows 7 64 bit, and on my iPad is that the Linksys Smart Wi-Fi screen rarely appears when I begin a new session. In theory it should appear and prompt me to log in when I have opened a new browser, but it very rarely does so. I'd say it appears maybe 1/100th of the time. And there doesn't seem to be a rhyme or reason behind when it does so. I close all browsers and open a new one when I start a new session, but it doesn't appear, and therefore I have no Internet access, even though I am connected to my neighbor's guest account. The Linksys description of the guest account advises guests to open an Internet browser and then type in the password from there. This rarely works for me however.

I would like to create a shortcut to the Linksys Smart Wi-Fi login screen but in a chat with a Linksys rep I was told this wasn't possible. (The online chat interface is terrible, BTW. It stopped processing my replies so the rep thought I had ended the session. So we didn't get that far.)

Am I correct in expecting the Linksys Smart Wi-Fi to prompt me for a password whenever I am beginning a new session? There's got to be a way of doing this so that I can go directly to the Linksys Smart Wi-Fi password prompt login screen before I start trying to access web pages. Note that even when I end a session and shut down my computer, I am remaining connected to my neighbor's wireless guest account. When I reboot and open a new browser, I am expecting the Linksys Smart WiFi login screen to appear and prompt me to log in. It does not. But apparently it has logged me out because I cannot access websites, even though I remain connected to the wireless guest account.

Any assistance would be much appreciated. Thanks.

luce.evening.star

Re: Issues connecting to guest account using Linksys Smart WiFi

Whenever you connect to the Guest network, it is true that you always have to type-in the Guest password each time you open a browser. And true that you cannot create a shortcut for the log-in because the design is that the prompt comes up when you open up a browser. The issue might be due to a wireless connectivity problem on the main 2.4 GHz network even though you see that your computers are always connected to the Guest Network. Changing the wireless channel on the 2.4 GHz network might help. For more info about the Guest Network Access, click on this link: http://kb.linksys.com/Linksys/ukp.aspx?vw=1&docid=f35bd58fda4148929ac482f3c7968e04_Guest_Network_Fre...
peppergomez

Thanks for your reply, Luce.

I read the article at that link but there is no information there about changing the wireless channel on the 2.4 GHz network.

Could you (or someone else) please explain how this is done?  Thanks.

Expert
zee29

What browser are you using with your tablet? What is the operating system of your laptop? Try clearing the cache and see if that would help or if you are using internet explorer do the following steps:

1. Click on "Tools"

2. Go to "Internet Options"

3. Click on the "Security" tab

4. Click on the "Custom Level" button

5. Then look for User Authentication and select "Prompt for user name and password"

peppergomez

[ Edited ]

Using Opera and Safari on my iPad. Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit on my laptop (and using Firefox, IE, Chrome, and Opera on my laptop).

Followed your advice about those IE settings, then rebooted and reconnected to the guest account in the lower right wireless connection options, then opened IE. Same problem persists. Instead of the Linksys Smart WiFi password login screen prompt, I get

This page can't be displayed
  • Make sure the web address http://(IP address here, which I removed for this post) is correct.
  • Look for the page with your search engine.
  • Refresh the page in a few minutes.

This is exasperating. What in God's name does it take to make the Linksys Smart WiFi screen to appear, so that I can begin accessing the internet?  Aren't I correct to assume that it should be appearing, especially since I had just chosen the guest account?  "No Internet Access" appears beneath the name of the guest account, but when I right-click on it and choose Status, I don't get any options for logging in.

So, I remain confused and frustrated here.  Thanks folks for any additional assistance.

luce.evening.star

I think it is best to ask your neighbor to test it on their end and ask if they encounter the same issue connecting to the Guest Network. It is an isolation process to know if it happens to all wireless devices connecting to the Guest Network since you have tried two wireless devices from your end. I have an EA6500 wireless router but so far people connecting to the Guest Network do not have any issues at all connecting and getting online.

Expert
sabretooth

>My neighbor very kindly gave me the password for his wireless guest account so that I can use when I need to. (I downgraded my Internet with TWC to the cheapest option, so I have no wireless, and will use his for my iPad and laptop.

This has nothing to do with your option with your ISP.  You can always have wireless as long as you have an internet connection.

peppergomez

Bumping this...anyone?

What's weird is that the way I solved the same issue at my dad's place--simply logging into his Linsksy settings page, but not changing anything, then logging out. After that, the Linksys password login page would appear consistently when I began a new session (on either my laptop or my iPad)

That didn't work with my neighbor's account when he tried it.

Then, last week, it began working properly, for the most part (say, about 50-60% of the time), for several days...Linksys Smart WiFi screen appearing when it should. Then we had a really bad storm, internet was out for a day, and the same problem has resumed. 

So, I'm stumped. 

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

peppergomez

[ Edited ]

PS-

PS- Is it possible that it could be a Windows security setting (since the guest account is unsecured) that is preventing me from getting Internet access even though I am connected to his account? Note the yellow warning icon in the screenshot. Thoguh this wouldn't explain the same problems using the iPad.

What doesn't appear in the screengrab is the following status info popup info:

Name: (the name of the guest account)
Signal Strength: Excellent
Security Type: Unsecured
Radio Type: 802.11n
SSID: (the name of the guest account)

My neighbor sent me an emailing telling me that Linksys smart WiFi shows that the guest network is on, and it says two guests are currently logged in. (That would be me from my laptop and from my iPad. He has his network set to allow up to 5 users/devices, and these problems occur even if I am using only one device to connect.)

luce.evening.star

It could have something to do with your neighbor’s wireless network settings on the 2.4 GHZ network since you’re able to connect properly at your Dad’s place. It is natural for the Guest account, I should say, to come up as unsecured because the security window screen comes up when you open the browser and you enter the password from there. From the screenshot that you shared, it is just normal. It only needs you to complete the entire process by entering the password when the prompt comes up. Try to remove the Guest network and then try to reconnect. Try to check also your browser settings as you may need to adjust the settings. Try the suggested steps by zee29.