Darth Vapor

Just want to keep neighbors from using my wireless signal.

This should be the most simple, easy to find answer, but I can't find it anywhere.

Can someone please tell me how to block out my apartment neighbors from using my connection for free internet?  The "admin password" is not what I'm looking for, and seems to be the only thing Linksys talks about.

I'm pretty good with computers, but I hope there's an easier way than going through all the MAC filtering or IP filtering process.  That all seems to be way beyond what I should have to do.

I would love it if I could just give my router a password or something simple to keep others out. It's bogging down my speed. Thanks anyone.

(I'm using the BEFW11S4, and I know how to access the web based utility)
Pragmatic

Re: Just want to keep neighbors from using my wireless signal.

Turn on security encryption.  You have a choice of WEP, WPA, and WPA2 but some of those choices might not be supported by your wireless card driver or OS version.

If you are running Windows XP, then you need SP2 to use WPA or WPA2.

What wireless card are you using?  If it is a Linksys card, then it should have come with a CD.  Depending on your OS, the CD might have stuff you need to turn on encryption.

There are also ways to set the router to restrict usage to particular MAC addresses but why do it the hard way when you can turn on security and kill at least two birds with one stone:
  - keep out unauthorized users
  - eliminate the ability of your neighbors to watch everything on your network
Carrot

Yes you can use wireless security on the router to make secure from others ....
Access router setup page ....
Click on the Wireless tab on the Setup page- Here Wireless Network mode
should be mixed- Provide any non linksys network name ....
Name (SSID) box- Set wireless channel to 11- And wireless SSID
broadcast should be Enabled and then click on "Save Settings" >>Now
Click on the Sub tab under wireless > "Wireless Security" Change the
Wireless security mode to "WEP/WPA"...have a note of the key ... click save settings ..
Runelord

I read from a Linksys page that one could also disable SSID broadcast and then create a profile. The page also shows how to create a profile using the Linksys Wireless Monitor. However, my wireless adapter is not Linksys (but Intel PRO Wireless). Would anyone know how to "create a profile" (or otherwise connect to an "invisible" SSID) using Intel PRO Wireless?
Darth Vapor

I tried what Carrot said. I'm able to get online via wireless just as easy as before, so are my neighbors also? I've not been asked for a password or "key" or whatever.  I just get online.  PLus, the signal has been very very low since i started trying this security stuff. I've had to move my computer back to my cable outlet to use direct signal, not wireless.
Anyway--I just don't see why it's so difficult. Seems like it would be an extremely user friendly thing to do, to add a SIMPLE password system to one's wireless.  Should be a no brainer for them to do this.  I shouldn't have to be a hacker.
Pragmatic

An invisible SSID is not effective security and does not keep determined neighbors off your network. Every wireless packet that is sent has the SSID in the header in the clear. It does not matter if the router and card are set to encryption. Think of the SSID as a number for which network is being used. You choose 1 and your neighbor chooses 2 on their wireless and now your equipment ignores their packets and theirs ignores yours. Each of you still see the other. Each network still interferes with the other unless you change the channel. If you have SSID on broadcast, then anyone who is in the area will see it quickly and be able to get on it without even trying. They may get on it accidentally. If you go to a coffee shop and they offer free wireless, that is what is happening. If you go to a hotel and have free wireless then you will see the SSID. I was in California a couple of months ago and the hotel had a free wireless connection. It was a challenge to stay on their network and not be on the car dealer next door and the coffee shop down the road. There were a number of other networks in range but they were encrypted so Windows did not try to get on them. It just told me they were there in case I wanted to enter the password to use them. How you create a profile will vary depending on whether you are using Windows, one of the Mac variations, Linux, etc. Let's assume you have Windows. To create a profile, you view network connections. You can do this with a link in My Network Places or using the Control Panel. Then you right click on your wireless network connection and use the View Available Wireless Networks button. The window that comes up will show you all the networks that are broadcasting SSID. It may also show some that are not broadcasting but are active at the time you bring up the window. On there you can connect to one of the networks and it will ask you for a password. Once you are connected, you have a profile. If you do not see your network on there, then it is not broadcasting SSID. You need to use the "Set up a wireless network..." link in upper left part of the window. Follow through the dialog windows and put in the SSID and the encryption password and you will have a profile. Once you have some profiles on your computer, you can change the order of preferred networks. You mostly want your own network as the only one but if you use multiple networks at home, at the coffee shop, at work, etc. then you might have more than one.
Pragmatic

If you have not entered a password or key then you are on an open network. Let's assume you are using Windows. Go to your Network Connections window (via Control Panel). Right click on your wireless network connection and use View Available Wireless Networks. You will see the network you are on and whether it is encrypted. If you want to set up to use a different network, you can connect to it there. If you are connecting to an encrypted network, you will be asked for a password or key at that time.