LAN no go to Internet

[ Edited ]

Hi all, 

I'm having a very odd issue with my new Cisco E1000 that is becoming quite frustrating.  Here it is:

The Router can connect to the internet.  All devices on the LAN can connect to the router (wireless and wired) - receive DHCP-leased address and can connect to the router.  However, no device on the LAN can access the internet.

Helpful details:

- WAN connection: PPPoE

- Router receives IP from DSL service.  There is no doubt that the router connects to the internet as I am able to remotely administrate (set this up afterwards) the router from a computer on a separate ISP internet connection.

- DHCP table shows leases given out with no issue

- Routing table is showing routes on both LAN and WAN that seem to be correct

- Lowered MTU significantly (1280) to see if this was the issue

- Devices (laptop and skype phone) have been rebooted to clear their ARP tables

- NAT is enabled

- SPI firewall is turned off, as well as all other filtering in the security section

- There are no access restrictions enabled 

- Logging shows:

- DHCP Client log - shows successful leaces

- Security log - nothing

- Incoming log - shows connection when accessing router settings remotely

- Outgoing log - nothing

If I'm missing any info that would be helpful, just let me know.  Otherwise, any suggestions?!

Cheers, 

Ryan

Expert
Expert

Re: LAN no go to Internet

Considering the amount of configuration changes you have made it's impossible to tell what the problem really is. Making/Trying random changes which you have read somewhere usually makes things only more worse and more complicated to troubleshoot. In particular, never ever turn off the SPI firewall on the router. It protects the router. Without the firewall you risk your router being hacked from the internet... Thus:

Reset the router to factory defaults, pressing the reset button for 30 seconds. Then reconfigure on the absolutely necessary to get the internet connection, i.e. configure your internet connection for PPPoE.

Then do your tests. Don't forget to make tests from the DIagnostics page of the router, too. And make all tests from computers wired to the router.

If you still have problems, open a command prompt window and enter "ipconfig /all" on a computer. Post the full output.

Then do

ping www.google.com
ping 209.85.148.104
tracert www.google.com
tracert 209.85.148.104

You can do the same on the Diagnostics page. Compare the results.

[ Edited ]

Thank you very much for your suggestion, however, it is not the solution.

I didn't go about randomly making changes on the router.  In fact, apart from the SPI firewall, the only changes I made were on the MTU size and to allow remote administration.  Thank you for your concern about my E1000 being hacked.

There is no issue pinging any web address from router.  This is because the router has no problems accessing the internet. This was highlighted when I mentioned that I could access the router from the outside (internet) when remote administration was set up.

I cannot ping any public IP address from any device on the LAN - this is the issue I am trying to resolve.  It is as if the router is not NAT-ing the LAN properly or just not routing between the two vlans (WAN and LAN) at all.  

Expert
Expert

I repeat:

If you still have problems, open a command prompt window and enter "ipconfig /all" on a computer. Post the full output.

Then do

ping www.google.com
ping 209.85.148.104
tracert www.google.com
tracert 209.85.148.104

If you don't want to post this information we can't help you...

And now from a completely different user who just joined in.

Having similar "Connected to the access point, but the Internet cannot be found" probelm.

Followed the Ping instructions on my laptop - no connection to www.Google.com, but the 209.85.148.104 response was 4 sent & 4 received, average time = 128ms.

Any further suggestions?

Charlie Novice

Further reading indicates that I should try the "tractracert" command as well. Again, Google failed, but the "205..." address completed 18 of 20 attempts.

Charlie

Highlighted

hi there.. did you check the adapter of your laptops? well if its atheros ar5007, its abig problem.. atheros adapters has an issue with new routers... not only linksys routers but other brand of routers as well.. all you have to do is to update the driver of the adpter or if it still doesnt work, well you have to upgrade the firmware of your router..