Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
bMorris

Laptop still validating identity

After 3 hours last night and an hour on the phone with the tech support team, I finally figured it out.  My laptop will recognize the router when it is not in security mode easily.  When I establish security it will see it but cannot connect.  I manually entered the encryption key and it is now connected but in the status bar it says "validating identity".  Will this ever change or will I just lose the connection eventually? It has been validating for about an hour now.
Expert
Expert

Re: Laptop still validating identity

Be sure to turn off authentication on the wireless network connection. On XP you open the properties of the network connection. On the Authentication tab you disable authentication.

What wireless security settings do you have on the router?
bMorris

That worked! Thanks!
2nd ave

I have the same Validating issue. The authentication tab is disabled and is in the light unclickable text with a warning message that tells me this device does not work with authentication. Any other ideas?
Expert
Expert

Which device?
2nd ave

wireless-g router model wrt54g2
Expert
Expert

That is not the device which tells you it does not work with authentication. What network device do you use to connect to the router?
2nd ave

I'm trying to connect my compaq presario v3000 laptop running xp, to the wireless routing function of the linksys router. I receive my internet from the cable company and it works when i connect directly to the cable box and when i use the wired function of the router. But when i try to connect wirelessly i get the authentication problem. I have tried both security setting and no security. I reset the router for each test. Normally i can connect to any unsecured wireless signal no problem.
2nd ave

Hear are more details. My wireless connection in the computer is a Broadcom 802.11 b/g WLAN
Saxman

I'm having this problem w/ my Toshiba.  My laptop recognizes the network, but is still "validating identity" and unable to connect.  The Authentication Tab you mention doesn't appear; I'm using XP.  Appreciate any help.