Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
x2fly

Laptop will not connect to WRT120N

I am trying to manually setup a WRT120N router. I am using my laptop (hard wired) for the initial setup. Okay, everything is working fine until I unplug the ethernet cable and try to go wireless. Will not connect to my network. I am also having this problem with all my other devices.

I had everything running fine on a WRT54G, I just wanted to try out the WRT102N. I did change the SSID name form what I was using on the WRT54G.

Thanks in advance!!!

SPAWN_06

Re: Laptop will not connect to WRT120N

Do you have wireless security enabled on your network?

Check out your options on this article below

Connecting wireless computers to your network

"The war between heaven and hell depends on the choices we make, and those choices require sacrifice. That's the test"
x2fly

Thanks Spawn!!!

Yes I have the security enabled. My password is very simple and it still will not connect. I took a look at the article and I am doing everything it shows. I do not use Windows to manage my wifi, I am currently using Network Magic. NM identifies my network, but it will not connect. I did try to restart WZC service and it won't even pick up the signal. Do you think I should go to the device manager, remove and reinstall my network adapter??? Maybe it's acting funny, but this doesn't answer why my other devices will not connect.

SPAWN_06

Do you know how to access your router setup page? Do you know if you have SSID Broadcast enabled on the router? Have you tried connecting without security enabled on the router?

"The war between heaven and hell depends on the choices we make, and those choices require sacrifice. That's the test"
x2fly

Yes, 192.168.1.1

SSID broadcast is enabled and I did try to connect without security....no luck. I did run up on an article here about disabling the wireless MAC filter. Not sure if it's enabled or not. I'll have to check went I get home. Do you think that might be causing the problem?

SPAWN_06

That can affect it too because a single wrong letter or number on the mac address list and it'll ruin your connection. Can you have those things disabled first so you can test that you can connect with just the wireless network plainly? If that works I suggest you go without mac filtering and use the WPA security instead, it's way more secure and easy to use than that.

balir

[ Edited ]

Make sure channel width is 20 mhz/standard and try to change your channel to 1.

Sometimes, if you are connecting a device running G adapter to an N router, it will ask for a PIN. Make sure you look for the other option to enter your key or passphrase Dont press the configuration button. Instead you can manually add your network

x2fly

Great replies guys!!!

I'll take a look at the MAC filtering tonight and report back later this evening. On the wide channel, I think I choose 40mhz but if I remember correctly, IF I choose one or the other I don't get the option to pick a channel.

If I understand you, go with the 20mhz and select channel 1. I thought I read some where here in the forum to select channel 11 if I were going to be using Xbox, Wii, smartphones, printers, etc. but I will give channel 1 a try.

x2fly

[ Edited ]

Also, I just got my hands on a setup disc but it's for the 160N. Any advantages to using the setup cd versus manual setup?

Found this from one of the admin's....OOK:  Do I also need to do the one with the *************?

Set the Radio Band to Standard-20MHz and change the Standard channel to 11-2.462GHz...Wireless SSID broadcast should be Enabled and then click on Save Settings...
Please make a note of Wireless Network Name (SSID) as this is the Network Identifier...

For Wireless Security : -
Click on the Sub tab under Wireless > Wireless Security...

Change the Wireless security mode to WPA, For Encryption, select TKIP...For Passphrase input your desired WPA Key. For example , MySecretKey , This will serve as your network key whenever you connect to your wireless network. Do NOT give this key to anyone and remember the key.

NOTE : Passphrase should be more that 8 characters...

Click on Advanced Wireless Settings

*********Change the Beacon Interval to 75,Change the Fragmentation Threshold to 2304,Change the RTS Threshold to 2304 and Click on Save Settings...

Now see if you can locate your Wireless Network and attempt to connect...

x2fly

Tried all the suggestions last night and still nothing. Even reset the router,  it did come back up with linksys as the ssid, tried the disc and still nothing will connect....hmmmmmmm. I didn't get  too far with the disc, I guess that's because it is for the 160N.:manmad:

I'll get back on it tonight and keep trying. This may seem as a silly question, but could it be possible that all my devices are hung up some how on my old set up? I was using the wrt54g for a couple of years.