BReeves

Limiting access to wired network?

Hi All,

Just added a Linksys WRT54GS wireless router to my wired network which also has a Linksys BEFSR81 router connected to a wireless ISP. Have everything working with WPA/PSK security, can access the internet from a laptop and a desktop with a Linksys USB adaptor.. The idea is to allow guests access to the internet through the routers but I would prefer them not to be able to get to the computers on my Peer-Peer LAN.

Am I going to need to lock down every computer on the LAN or is there some magic setting in the routers that can be configured to only allow wireless access to the internet but not the LAN? I have worked hard at disabling Windows firewalls and other crap so I could freely access files from any computer on the network and depend on the router firewall to keep my network isolated from the internet. Hoping the router(s) will have an easy means to limit access as locking down the computers will be a real PTA.

Thanks for any hints..

Bigmatt

Re: Limiting access to wired network?

You could put your lan on a DMZ but then in turn secure it with a some what different security configuration so that they would need a different set of information to accesss it, Or you could install a firewall to your network...
GoodLuck

Matt :smileyhappy:
BReeves

Just received a call from a friend, he sugested I simply make the IP address of the wireless different than my network router. Like instead of having one 192.168.1.1 and the other 192.168.1.20 assign the wireless router something like 192.168.2.1. Because the IP addresses are different the wireless network won't see the wired network.

This brings up a couple questions.. Will this work and how do I get the wireless router access to the internet connection on the wired router?

saber_tooth

To make you wireless computers not have a access to your LAN Computers. You need to change the connection type between your BEFSR41 and WRT54G router.

Connect the Ethernet Cable from the LAN Port of BEFSR41 router to the Internet Port of your WRT54G Router, and then connect your computer to the LAN port of your WRT54G. Login to the WRT54G router GUI and change the LAN IP to : 192.168.2.1 and click on Save Settings. Once the settings are sucessful power cycle your network. This will make your Wireless Computer connect to the Internet, but will not allow them to access your LAN Computers connected to BEFSR41.

BReeves

Thank you... Yesterday AM I found an FAQ that spelled out exactly what you said and now have it working.. I was trying to make it much more complicated than it actually is. Wasn't aware you could use the WAN port to the second router.. After discovering this tidbit it was really simple...