MacJohnMcC

LinkSys E3200 firmware version 1.0.02 - Wifi disconnects regularly

I have had to power cycle my E3200 about every 24 hours lately. The wifi connection to my MacBook Pro (802.11n) will vanish. I can disable and reenable Wifi on the Mac and it still does not fix the connection. It's not until I reboot the router that I can connect again. It's more than just the Mac Pro that loses it's connection too as I have two TiVo premieres (802.11n) that lose their internet connection.

Any tips?

It used to be so much more stable and was a joy to use but not it's become flakey.

Ricewind

Re: LinkSys E3200 firmware version 1.0.02 - Wifi disconnects regularly

You can try the following settings:

A] With the help of Cisco Connect Software (if at all you have installed the router with the help of this software)

1] Open the software and go to the option which says "Router Settings"

2] Then click on the option which says "Advanced Settings" which will take you to the router's configuration page.

3] Then go to the Wireless tab, keep network mode as mixed,

For Channel Settings of 2.4 GHz you can make Channel Width to 20 MHz only and Channel to 6, 9, 11..

For Channel Settings of 5 GHz you can make Channel Width to 20 MHz only and Channel to 40 or 161...

B] If you haven't installed Cisco Connect then you can log on to the router's user interface using it's default IP address in the browser which is 192.168.1.1 and type in 'admin' as the password leaving the user name field blank. This will take you to the router's web interface and then follow steps as mentioned above to make the changes.

MacJohnMcC

I will give it a try. 

The current configuration I have was different only in that I had both set to 20 or 40 rather than 20 only.

Ricewind

Well try the troubleshooting mentioned in the previous post. Hope that will resolve the existing concern.

MacJohnMcC

After the changes I haven't seen complete drops requiring a router restart but I have found momentary disconnections that repair themselves. Still not very useful streaming anything.

Ricewind

Try the following steps:

A] With the help of Cisco Connect Software (if at all you have installed the router with the help of this software)

1] Open the software and go to the option which says "Router Settings"

2] Then click on the option which says "Advanced Settings" which will take you to the router's configuration page.

3] Lower the MTU (Maximum Transmission Unit) from 1500 to 1400 or less (usually found on your router's main/ basic setup page)

4] Then click on Security tab disable SPI Firewall Protection, un-check Filter Anonymous Internet Requests..

B] If you haven't installed Cisco Connect then you can log on to the router's user interface using it's default IP address in the browser which is 192.168.1.1 and type in 'admin' as the password leaving the username field blank. This will take you to the router's web interface and then follow steps as mentioned above to make the changes.

dpw2atox

I am also having issues with my wireless disconnecting for multiple devices. One thing I did notice though is that it only happens for my 5Ghz band, the 2.4Ghz works fine. This degration starts after the router has been on for ~ a day or so and by day 3 I cant connect at all.

MacJohnMcC

Sounds like what I'm seeing.

Changing the MTU to 1400 just resulted in my being able to connect to the router and get a wifi signal but I could not use the connection even to ping.

MacJohnMcC

Note before the last firmware update I didn't have this problem. Upgrading the firmware feels to have made the router less stable.

I have had some stability issues and reconnect issues for some of my WiFi devices over the last several months with the situation appearing to worsen more recenlty. But then I've also more recenlty used Wifi more myself rather than a ethernet.

Ricewind

Well, I would like to know that you have upgraded the firmware or it was already upgraded? If you have upgraded the firmware then once reset the router. 

But if that is the case then once reset the router. Steps to reset the router:

Push the reset button on router for 30 seconds, turn off the router wait for 30 seconds and then power it on. Power light should blink when you perform the reset process.

Once you have successfully reset your Router, you need to reconfigure the settings again and the check the status...