doxavita

Linksys E1000: What is the Wi-Fi Protected Setup button for?

Bought a Linksys E1000. Looking at the router from the front, among the blue icons, in the middle, there is a button that looks like a refresh icon called the "Wi-Fi Protected Setup button." What is that button for? What does it do? Right now everything is working perfectly. It's probably not a good idea to press that button, right? Thanks.
Administrator
24JUAN80

Re: Linksys E1000: What is the Wi-Fi Protected Setup button for?

Welcome to the Cisco Home Community.

Wi-Fi Protected Setup Button - If you have client devices, such as wireless adapters, that support Wi-Fi Protected Setup, then you can use the Wi-Fi Protected Setup button to automatically configure wireless security for your wireless network.

You can turn to page 20 of your userguide or click this link.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Search Function is your friend.... and Google too.

How to Secure your Network
How to Upgrade Routers Firmware
Setting-Up a Router with DSL Internet Service
Setting-Up a Router with Cable Internet Service
How to Hard Reset or 30/30/30 your Router
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
doxavita

Yes, I already read that, but I still don't understand what that means, could you please clarify a bit more? Thanks
JOHNDOE_06

The button is used to setup WPS which is an automatic way of securing your wireless connection by means of pressing that and one on your wireless adapter's software (which some Linksys devices have).

I think this article here would clear that up

CLICK THIS

Some devices have it, and some dont...

Since you already have wireless security on your network, pressing that would change the wireless security codes.

Therefore, I suggest you not to press it anymore... :smileyvery-happy: