Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
nivek2421

Linksys E2000 Parental Control problems

[ Edited ]

I bought a brand spanking new Linksys E2000. I get great connection speeds and awesome range, until the day I set up parental controls. Once I set them up, It slowed my connections down to a crawl. Thinking that I did something wrong, I reset the router and did the entire installation. Everything was back to normal, but it did it again once I set up the parental controls.

(Mod note: Post was edited for guidelines compliance.)

gandalf

Re: Linksys E2000 Parental Control problems

Have you tried upgrading the router's firmware....?

Have you tried by downloading the updated Cisco connect software from linksys website....?

If not then,try to upgrade/re-flash the router's firmware.Also download the Cisco connect software from linksys website and check.

nivek2421

There is no update to the firmware yet. It is the same as what it currently has. I already have the most up to date Cisco Connect, but it has made no difference.

From what I get from Cisco Support is that they are aware of the issue, but have no resolution for it as of yet. And they do not know when it will be fixed. I am stuck with a half functioning Wireless Router which does not work as intended.

Looks like I'll go to the corner and cry for a while!!!!

RRCabato

Hi. Am experiencing the same symptoms....so is there any way to disable parental control? do i have to re-install and re-initialize the router? ouch 

musicmanohyeah

This looks like a complicated issue for a brand new router. You might wanna try calling tech support for this one. I usually call Linksys friendly help desk whenever I get issues that are way on top of my head. They might be able to provide the right solution for this kind of issue.

mcannon-gso

I have found this issue also with my E3000.

If you reset your settings to default Administration > Restore Default Settings.

Uninstall Cisco Connect.

Reinstall Cisco connect and setup your router again, this time do not activate the parental controls.

You can access the router via Advanced Settings and setup the Access Restrictions page to have parental control.

Do NOT change the following 4 things in advanced options as this will cause Cisco Connect to not function.

1) Admin Password

2) 2.4ghz SSID

3) 2.4ghz Wireless Security passphrase.

4) DO NOT disable SSID broadcast

This has allowed my router to function @ full speed without issues.

Francis Wong

Does anyone know how to set the starting time beyong MIDNIGHT? Says from 2am to 7am?

The Cosco software only allows the staring time to be from NOON to MIDNIGHT.

Thanks.

Francis Wong

Don't find it's Parental Control features useful:

1. Can't set the starting from beyong 12 midnight, say from 1am onward.

2. Can't set keywords

3. Once you set the password, the Access Restriction function of the Router's web-based setting is disabled. You have to reset the router and uninstall Ciscso Connect and install it again.

The Cisco Connect.exe file had mysteriously disappeared from the first computer I used to install the software, so much so that I could not run it, uninstall it nor re install it.

I gave up and install it on another computer.This time I didn't touch the Parental Control and just went directly to use the Router's web-based setting which is more useful.

TechGuy68

I have the same exact issue as the OP only I have a 2500.  I've done 3 factory resets, upgraded to the latest firmware and have carefully went through setup.  I can toggle the parental controls off and on and internet speeds are aweful or great depending  if the controls are on or off (respectively).  This is a pretty cut and dry flaw if you ask me.  Has anyone contacted support regarding this and got a fix?

TechGuy68

Just got off the chat support.  Despite giving the cut and dry explaination that when it is turned on my connection is slow and that when I turn parental controls back off that my connection is fast, she told me it was "high time" I think about upgrading my NIC drivers!!!!!  WTH!  Where do they get these people???