Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
1965tripleblack

Linksys E2000 Won't Connect

My sister gave me her E2000. I run the setup program, my laptop sees the router and it shows a strong signal. When I try to connect with it, it won't connect.

RogerSC

Re: Linksys E2000 Won't Connect

You may be dealing with security...the wireless network should be using WPA2 security mode, and should have a passphrase to connect to it.  If it doesn't, then you should add that.  The way that I'd suggest dealing with this is to log into 192.168.1.1 with a computer connected with a cable to one of the router LAN ports.  Then go to the wireless tab, and wireless security page under that.   If WPA2/AES is already selected as the security mode, then make a note of the passphrase there.  If it isn't, then switch to that security mode, and set your own passphrase.  Then you should be able to connect to the wireless network using that passphrase on your client device.

If this isn't the problem, please describe in more detail what configuration you've already done.  Again, you can look at the settings by logging into the web GUI admin screens on 192.168.1.1.

1965tripleblack

[ Edited ]

This is exactly the answer and the solution I was looking for. I'll try to do that and am confident that if I'm successful, then that will solve the issue. My sister mentioned something about a password or code, but couldn't remember the details. Once she said that, I knew that I was in for some trouble.

I had "reset" the router by pressing the button in the back next to the power port. What does this reset button do. I guess it does not reset the security code.

If I have a problem following your instructions, I'll post questions.

Thanks,

Joe

1965tripleblack

I have no success getting to 192.168.1.1.

I simply connected the router, powered it up, reset it again, connected my desktop and cable modem to 2 ethernet ports. was able to surf the web, but no connect to the router IP address. Then switched the modem to the "internet" port and left the desktop on the ethernet port. This time no internet and no connection to the IP address.

What am I missing here?

Thanks,

Joe

Expert
iamgiantherockstar

[ Edited ]

What is the IP address of the computer that is connected to the ethernet port of the router? Please check it by right clicking the Local Area Connection icon > select status > click on the support tab.

1965tripleblack

Cmd/ipconfig says that the IP address is: 24.187.165.40; default gateway is 24.187.160.1

Expert
iamgiantherockstar

This is your modem's IP address. Make sure the computer is connected to the router's LAN Port and the modem to the Internet port. You should have an IP address of 192.168.1.100 or something relevant.

Are you using DSL or Cable?

1965tripleblack

[ Edited ]

I have a cable modem. No DSL, no FIOS.

Thanks for staying with me. Please understand that I have absolutely no common sense when it comes to networking, so if you could spell everything out simply and completely, then that would be helpful. Don't assume that I know anything about anything.

You asked me for the IP address of my desktop computer and when I gave it to you, now you say that that was the address of the modem. I'm confused. Do the modem and the computer both have different IP addresses? If so, then how do I know which is which?

First of all, if I connect my non wireless capable (NIC card ethernet only) desktop to any ethernet port on the router and connect the modem to any other ethernet port on the router, then I'm able to connect to the internet. After awhile, I lose connectivity and have to shut down the computer and the modem to reset things. I think it has something to do with dynamic IP assignment with the cable modem. Can I eliminate this and assign a static address to my desktop? I know how to do this with TCP/IP.

If I remove the modem from the ethernet port and connect it to the "internet" port, as it SHOULD BE, then I can't connect to the internet.

I assume that the router is functioning as a hub when both devices are connected to ethernet ports, although not sure why the computer loses its IP address after awhile.

Of course, I have not yet spoken about my wireless capable laptop......................the whole reason for this exercise..............

Expert
iamgiantherockstar

I'm gonna itemize your questions:

1. You asked me for the IP address of my desktop computer and when I gave it to you, now you say that that was the address of the modem. I'm confused. Do the modem and the computer both have different IP addresses? If so, then how do I know which is which?

Yes, the modem and the router have different IP addresses. The modem is the one giving the router the IP address of 24.x.x.x and that's a public or WAN address. You should be able to see it under the status page of your router if you are able to access the page. Now, in order for this router to work with all your computers on the network, it assigns LAN IP addresses to each of your computers. That's why on the hard wired computer (to the router) you should get a 192.168.1.1xx IP address. If you fail to do so, then maybe the router has a problem.

2. Can I eliminate this and assign a static address to my desktop?

No, you don't need to because the router is supposed to give a valid IP address to your computers.

Okay now, let's try to reset your router  for 30 seconds while it is powered on. After 30 seconds, turn it off then back on again. Once the power light goes solid, your computer should have a valid IP address now. Make sure that your modem is still connected to the router's Internet port.

We'll get to your laptop later one we are succesful in configuring your router for the hardwired connection. I'll be waiting for your reply.

1965tripleblack

Unfortunately, once I do that, I'll lose connectivity and won't be able to communicate with you unless/until it's reconfigures properly and the password has been fixed.

Where are you located? I'm in USA, New Jersey. Talk on phone may not be economical, depending on your location.