Crwys

Linksys E2500 Wireless Router is SLOW! :(

Bought this new router today for 85$ to replcae my 5 year old router.

Internet speeds through my modem are 15+mbps.

I'm lucky to even get 10 through my router, its usually at 1-5 mbps.

I don't know what the problem is, I'm assuming this is a new router because I haven't found any talk about it.

This woudln't be such a big deal only that now I lag in online gaming. I am currenty back on my old router until someone can help me with this, I might just return it ><

gandalf

Re: Linksys E2500 Wireless Router is SLOW! :(

How many wired and wireless computers do you have in the network?

Is the connection speed slow on the wired computer or only on wireless computer?

Try changing the MTU size on the router.

Connect the computer to the router with the Ethernet cable. Open the setup page of the router and change the MTU size to 1365. Save the settings and power cycle the router.

See if that makes any difference.

Crwys

Thanks for replying.

Its slow on both Wired and Wireless but most of the time the Wireless comes up faster, but not by much.

There is 2 wired computers hooked up to the router.

I will change the MTU size when I get home and let you know, thanks.

wscott44

I'm having a heck of a time with network performance also. Even when I shut down all but one computer in the house and plug the one directly into the router, I can't even do a windows update that applies a 35MB update.
When I do the ping test from the router's web page, sometimes 1 of 5 packets is lost.
I have created a new workgroup and changed that in all computers.
I was on the phone with tech support yesterday. After an hour, they advised me to return it and get another. Did that. Thought the new one was better at first; performance is still horribly slow.
I'll read about and try the various tuning changes. Any other ideas are appreciated.
wscott44

Any luck with the MTU size change?
haugerro

I also have a e2500 linksys, I get 53mb when I plug into the lan port and only get 12mb with the wireless. all device are set to use N and mixmode.  I'm going to buy a netgear to see if there's any impovement in speed.  If it's better I'll sell the linksys on ebay.  

earthmyrll120288

To isolate the concern, connect the computer to the modem and check the speed from there. If the speed on the modem is a lot faster than when wired to the router, what you can do is to adjust the MTU settings of your router to 1400. If that would not help, reset and reconfigure the router.

wscott44

I returned my Linksys router and switched brand loyalty to D-Link. Got a DIR-655 at Provantage.com; setup was a breeze and I get great coverage with the 3 antennas. I bought a couple other D-Link products to improve my home LAN configuration. I'm so pleased that I don't consider other brands when shopping for network components.