Logsdonb

Linksys E3000 connection problems

I have comcast Triple HD cable internet and I have been using a low end 5 year old Linksys Router.  I decided to upgrade and get the E3000.  So far I have had no luck at all getting it to work.  Setup fails to even connect at all.  I spent 2 hours on the phone with tech support.  There were helpful in trying to get it up and running but we have been unable to get a TCP/IP number from my provider (comcast).  I hooked up the old router to see if any of my settings looked unusual but they seemed normal.

I can connect to the router but thats it so far.

I was just curious if anyone other Comcast customers were having trouble getting the E3000 to work and what work arounds they found for it.

Thanks

binky

Re: Linksys E3000 connection problems

When you connect the modem to the old router are you able to go online?

If  yes then copy the Mac address from your old router and put it on the E3000 router.

This should fix the issue for you.

Logsdonb

Old router works fine.  I did copy the MAC address from the PC and also from the old Router.  Neither one worked.  So far the tech support people at CISCO have been very helpful but we still have not been able to get it to work. 

They are supposed to be following up with the engineers.  Apparently someone else with a Comcast modem had a problem as well.

Tennberg

I use Comcast as my ISP and have one of their cable modems.

I too was having issues with my E3000, but it involved the 2.4 and 5GHz wireless bands. What I would do is reflash the E3000 with the latest firmware from Cisco, then do a few 30/30/30 hard resets. Hold down the reset button for 30 seconds. While continuing to hold down the reset button, pull out the E3000's power cord, and wait 30 another seconds. While still holding down the rest button, plug in the power cord and wait yet another 30 seconds.

This will erase all settings on the router and clear out the NVRAM, etc. You will need to reconfigure it from scratch. Since doing this, I have had 0 issues with the E3000.

scrawner

[ Edited ]

Is the E3000 picking up an IP address from the router at all (e.g. a 10.x.x.x address?).   I've seen that happen recently where the Cable modem would only assign a 10.x address to the new router instead of a public IP, and I had to Call Comcast to get them to change something on their end.

gaylesal

I have been battling my E3000 probelm for a month now, I also have Comcast but non of the technicians have menetioned an interface problem.  My old linkysys router worked wonderfully for 4 years and this one continues to have problems.  Would their technicians be able to walk me through the 303030 you spoke about or am i better off on my own?  I have 5 laptops (3 Dell 2 Toshiba)  and a desktop that work off of this wireless system and I'm close to returning the router router and buying d-link.

BradSchroeder

I recently purchased the E3000 and was having the same problems, could not get a conncetion to work. I went to the Comcast support people and they had me shutdown the modem, router, and wired computer. Wait for at least 3 minutes. I then plugged the modem back in, waited until fully up (and phone line working which is also connected). Then tunred on the E3000, waited for it to complete. Then the computer. Everything is working now. If you still do not have it working, try the same thing except this time also reset the E3000 when powering on.

ackelly64

Yes I have comcast internet.

Whenever i have a power failure the router will not connect to the web, it works on the network but cannot access the web.

I have rebooted the router and modem without any luck.

Harleygirl

I also have Comcast internet.  We had a power outage a few weeks ago and my router would not connect after that.  I called Comcast and after trying several fixes, they suggested I call Cisco.  I called Cisco and they also tryied several fixes.  Nothing worked.  I bought the E3000 router, assuming the old Linksys was dead and had my IT person at work set it up for me.  It worked fine when I was at work.  Brought it home, hooked my comcast cable modem and my computer up to it.  Nothing.  Same problem as the old router (which I now assume actually was not dead, but has some issue with Comcast).  I keep getting an error message that says:  There may be a problem with your Domain Name Server (DNS) configuration.  Windows failed to find the well known host "wwww.microsft.com" using DNS. The server may be down.  What does that mean?  What do I need to do?  Am I having a router problem or a Comcast problem?

TheEdge02

I have been using a netgear router for over 4 years. I decided to go out an buy a new router because of the performance of the netgear router. I bought the E3000 Linksys router. When I plugged in my new E3000 router I started getting disconnects from the Comcast internet. I was on the phone with Comcast and they could not find any problems. When I plugged back in my old Netgear router everything worked fine and I was able to connect back to the internet.

Is there anything I can change in the settings of the Linksys router to stop the disconnects from the internet?