Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
jamjen

Linksys E4200 - AP mode?

[ Edited ]

Ok,

I've recently installed an E4200 wireless router, hoping I could set it up in an Access point mode.  As far as I can tell there is no way to do this.  Does anyone know if this is possible?  I'd like my wifi devices to get dhcp from my wired lans dhcp server, and I'd REALLY liek to be able to connect to these devices from my LAN.  I could have sworn in previous WRT models it was possible to tell the thing to act as just an access point and not a router.

Also, I need to figure out how to get back into the **bleep** thing as well, it's in a remote location and I can't talk to the router or anything that's behind it (but they can talk to my side).  This makes sense, and I'm pretty sure I need someone at my remote location to actually put their hands on it (or, maybe start a webex, have someone on that side join, and just work from there)   

jamjen

Re: Linksys E4200 - AP mode?

Woah, did I really type an expletive?  My bad!

TheExoticFish

I'm pretty sure I read that it's not possible.

jamjen

They need a firmware update that would change that!  I mean, the thing's defiantly capable, if anything it's actually losing functionality by being an AP (well I guess there's the whole NAT / transparency thing)

SignalGuy

[ Edited ]

The Linksys E4200 doesn't exactly have an "access point" mode but you can get it to behave like an access point.  To do so, get access to its web menu and turn off the E4200's DHCP server.  Then assign the E4200 an IP address in the same range as your LAN.  Finally, connect one of the blue "Ethernet" ports on your E4200 to your LAN.  By doing this, I believe my E4200 is essentially working as an Access Point.  The only major downside I have seen so far is that if I want to log in to the E4200's web interface then I have to change the IP address settings on my computer and log into the E4200 wirelessly.  In addition to the approach I just described, I also mentioned four additional options in a prior post that I have included below. 

-----------

At a high level, you need to think about your network architecture and specifically about what roles and functions you want your network devices to perform.  If Cisco included an "Access Point" mode in the E4200, then you could just hang it off your existing network and it would function as an access point.  However, the current E4200 firmware only allows the E4200 to act as a wireless router.

Here are some options regarding different architectures that will work:

1)  Put  your ActionTec into bridge mode (instead of the default router mode).  Then use your E4200 as a router.  There are some web sites that describe how to put your ActionTec into bridge mode.

2)  Hang your E4200 off your existing LAN and do double NAT.  This is what I'm doing now though there are some disadvantages that I don't have time to explain.

3)  Replace your ActionTec with the E4200 which should be pretty easy to do if your ActionTec is connected via an Ethernet (and not a Coax) cable.  Somone already described this approach nicely in another post.

4)  Return your E4200 and buy a wireless device that has an "access point" mode.  This will let simply hang the device off your existing network which is probably what you wanted to do to start with. 

Personally, I have a (coax connected) ActionTec running in bridge mode which is connected to an Astaro Security Gateway which functions as a router (among other things).  My Astaro PC is connected to a GigE switch.  I'm hanging my E4200 off the GigE switch.  I do hope that Cisco includes an "Access Point" mode update in their future firmware. 

cc999

This what I did and it works perfectly:

E-4200 as AP

WNDR 3700 as router

on WNDR 3700:

disable PNP

Disable 2.4 and 5.0 wireless

Set up DHCP reservations on 11 connections

DHCP 192.168.1.2 - .198

enable IPV6

on E-4200:

LAN out to LAN in on WNDR3700

Disable DHCP

Set router ip at 192.168.1.199 (Set IP OUT OF DHCP range of the WNDR3700)

Disable NAT

Set up wireless with WPA-2 AES

disable PNP

Passes stealth on Shields up, I can access all shares including a wireless printer.

Lightning fast! IPV6 also works perfectly.

Charlie C

irofinder

Here's the link on how to connect the two router's and make the second router like an access point.

jancuk

Hi Charlie, May i know, what is your configuration? On the Internet Side: Disable DHCP. IP Adress: fill in the IP of service provider. On the Router Side: Set router ip at 192.168.1.199 (Set IP OUT OF DHCP range of the WNDR3700) Disable NAT Set up wireless with WPA-2 AES disable PNP Is it like this? Thanks, ****************************************************************************************** on E-4200: LAN out to LAN in on WNDR3700 Disable DHCP Set router ip at 192.168.1.199 (Set IP OUT OF DHCP range of the WNDR3700) Disable NAT Set up wireless with WPA-2 AES disable PNP
starone

[ Edited ]

starone

This worked for me... I hope it works for all of you.

SignalGuy has it right:

" To do so, get access to its web menu and turn off the E4200's DHCP server. Then assign the E4200 an IP address in the same range as your LAN. Finally, connect one of the blue "Ethernet" ports on your E4200 to your LAN."

To solve the "can't access web managment portal" problem (I had it as well), just enable remote managment.  When I did, the first thing I noticed is that the device showed up in the Network browse.  Then when I tried to access it using the address I supplied for the LAN IP address... bingo!  it worked fine.  So, from the adminstration page (I think), enable remote management and the annoyance should go away.