Josh12

Re: Linksys E900 router

i dont know what WMM is or how to enable/disable it

VALETLINKSYS

- Go to applications and gaming

- Look for QoS

- WMM SUPPORT means : 

Wi-Fi Multimedia (WMM) is a wireless Quality of Service feature that improves quality for audio, video, and voice applications by prioritizing wireless traffic.

I believe that I can make it :smileyhappy:
Josh12

I love you guys i disabled wmm support and that fixed it

major improvement

VALETLINKSYS

Josh12 wrote:

I love you guys i disabled wmm support and that fixed it

major improvement

WOW ! That's nice . Glad to help :smileyhappy:

I believe that I can make it :smileyhappy:
ltagana

[ Edited ]

WMM...

blakscribe

[ Edited ]

Wow, I was about to return this router to Walmart and give it horrible reviews on every site I frequent. Seriously. I help people with computers and networking for a living and I had tried all the basics when all of a sudden my wireless connection slowed to a crawl after less than 24 hours of using this new device: Resetting router and modem, turning computer on and off, reinstalling wireless adapter. Nothing helped...

Then I finally decided to try this forum and found this post.  The exact problem I was having! I DISABLED WMM Support and Voila! Back to my previous blazing speeds!

Weird though how the connection worked great when I first hooked up router then dropped off like that.

Any ideas?

blakscribe

[ Edited ]

Corleone

Try to do the following steps:

A] With the help of Cisco Connect Software (if at all you have installed the router with the help of this software)

1] Open the software and go to the option which says "Router Settings"

2] Then click on the option which says "Advanced Settings" which will take you to the router's configuration page.

3] Then go to the Wireless tab, keep network mode as mixed,

For Channel Settings of 2.4 GHz you can make Channel Width to 20 MHz only and Channel to 6, 9, 11..

For Channel Settings of 5 GHz you can make Channel Width to 20 MHz only and Channel to 40 or 161...

4] Lower the MTU (Maximum Transmission Unit) from 1500 to 1400 or less (usually found on your router's main/ basic setup page). Here is the link for determining and setting up the correct MTU size: http://www6.nohold.net/Cisco2/ukp.aspx?vw=1&docid=fbf8e8564632422eaa8ea80bf9dcba64_386.xml&pid=80&re...

B] If you haven't installed Cisco Connect then you can log on to the router's user interface using it's default IP address in the browser which is 192.168.1.1 and type in 'admin' as the password leaving the username field blank. This will take you to the router's web interface and then follow steps as mentioned above to make the changes.

free chocolate

[ Edited ]

BUT! BUT!  Your devices will not be able to get the full strength of 802.11n Wi-Fi networks if WMM (Wireless Multimedia) is disabled. There's a post on Small Net Builder :

Don't Mess With WMM!

blakscribe

Thanks for the link.  I plan to read that info thoroughly when I have time over the next few days.  All I know for now is that WMM is disabled and I am getting the same speed as my ethernet connected computer.  If it ain't broke, don't fix it!