moorbo

Linksys WRT54G 'Security Mode' is Disabled only, WPA unavailable

Hello, I am asking for help with a stubborn router.

I have had to hard reset my Linksys WRT54G v5 router and I have trouble when I get to the Wireless>Wireless Security>Security Mode: pull down window. The default is 'Disabled', when I try to select any of the pull downs, i.e. WPA Personal, the router allows me to select it then immediately reverts to 'Disabled' without ever showing any of the 'Algorithm' pull down or 'Shared Key' windows. What allows me to get past 'Disabled' to allow WPA configuration?

This has happened before and after monkeying around with it for a few hours the router will for some unknown reason allow me to access the WPA choice. There must be something that I am not doing or some procedure inherent to Linksys routers. I really, really appreciate any form of assistance that you may be able to offer.

Thanks very much

richard804

Re: Linksys WRT54G 'Security Mode' is Disabled only, WPA unavailable

Click on arrow next to Disable
Highlight WPA Personal and click on it
Greetings from Northern Ontario, Canada
kisses08

you may try accessing the router's setup page using a different browser or a different pc and see if its the same problem. i also suggest you download the latest firmware available for your wrt54g v5 router. you may upgrade the firmware through the setup page as well.
moorbo

Thanks,
I did try that, yet the moment wpa is selected, it changes back to Disabled. Ultimately, I tried a different and much older 7 year Dell computer and it was able to engage the wpa. I still do not know why a 1 year HP laptop has trouble.
I do appreciate your input.
Bob
kisses08

try updating or installing a new browser on that laptop
richard804

If you tried in wireless mode try connecting using a cable.  I have no problem connecting to my wrt54g with my hp laptop with vista.
Greetings from Northern Ontario, Canada
binky

You could try changing the mode to WPA & try checking if it works if not you could try resetting the router reset button in such a way that power light is blinking on the router & then do a complete network power cycle i.e., unplug the power cables from the modem & from the router & then plug in the power cable to the modem first once all the lights are solid green you could plug in the power cable to the router & check out it will definately work!!
moorbo

Thanks to all (I hope that you all see this),
These are all good suggestions. Addressing them in sequence:
1. The hard drive was reimaged and a new browser put in place last month. The same problem occurred with previous browser version. Perhaps I will install a different browser next time.
2. Last year, I did learn that I needed to be hard wired to the router when attempting to access the router.
3. Next time, I will try the reset & and power down of the router and modem then repowering.  As I originally said that after monkeying around with it for a few hours reseting and powering down in various ways, I actually may have  inadvertently accomplished this.
Again, thanks, for all of the suggestions and I will keep them handy in the event that theywill be needed in the future. It is probably not a matter of If but When.