six5gent
Accepted Solution

Linksys WRT54G is broadcasting two wireless signals at one time.

Has anyone experienced the Linksys WRT54G router broadcasting two wireless signals??  I did a wirelss security reset in my modem the other day and changed the SSID broadcast name.  Now I have the old and the new SSID broadcasting at the sametime.  When I go into my router I only see that the new one is listed.  My problem is that the new SSID that I created is encrypted with WPA Personal and the older SSID that is still broadcasting is not encrypted, anyone can jump on the signal.  The older SSID was originally encrypted in WEP....I cant figure this out.  Can anyone help?

FYI...the new SSID signal is very strong and the older original one is weak.

I turned on Wireless MAC filtering in an effort to keep anyone with a laptop who is in proximity off my network.

Expert
Expert

Re: Linksys WRT54G is broadcasting two wireless signals at one time.

Your router can only broadcast one SSID. If you have changed it and set up WPA Personal then it's secure.

The unsecured "linksys" network is your neighbor's. If you check the web interface of the unsecure "linksys" network you'll see that it's a different one. Check the Status page.
bignellrp

Are you sure this was your neighbours connection.  I have just set up a WAP54g and am getting the same issue. The new SSID that I created is encrypted with WPA Personal and the older SSID that is still broadcasting is not encrypted.  I try to connect to the other signal but it fails to connect, which is good i suppose, but i do not want to broadcast anything in case it can be broken into.
bignellrp

Turns out its a Vista thing.  Until you reboot a bug in Vista sometimes sees old SSIDs.  Now i've rebooted the other network has gone.
cpol101

I think I am having a similar problem.  I am going to try and explain this the best I can.  I am not very computer savvy so please bear with me.  I originally set up my router with my desktop (wire connection)  and wireless from my tivo.  I got rid of the desktop and router.  A couple of months later, when I set up the router with my new laptop.  I gave the router a new name.  The network status on the linksys advisor said Internet connection not working.  If I have a wire from the router to the laptop I do get a connection.  The network status says I am connected on Local Area Connection with the old router name. That is where I am able to connect through the internet.   I am connected through the laptop to the new network name via a wireless connection.   That says the connection is local only.  The old desktop was windows XP and the new laptop has windows vista.  Could you please tell me how to reboot the bug in vista?