cwbills

Linksys WiFi Router and Summer Baby Monitor

Oh geez!  I go from gaming to having to worry about how the new baby monitor is driving my wifi signal to crap!

So, have the Linksys WRT160N and the Summer Best View Video Monitor for the baby's room.  The monitor is on the 2.4 GHz spectrum.

On the router, the channel is set to "auto" and is "mixed" for the channel width.

Should I assign a specific channel for the router so that it won't get interference from the monitor?

Anything else?
cwbills

Re: Linksys WiFi Router and Summer Baby Monitor

No one has any thoughts?
oook

Try to do the following settings on your router...

Under Wireless tab :

- Network Mode --> mixed

- Provide a unique name in the Wireless Network Name (SSID) box in order to differentiate your network from your neighbours network...

- Set the Radio Band to Standard-20MHz and change the Standard channel to 11-2.462GHz...Wireless SSID broadcast should be Enabled and then click on Save Settings...

Click on the Sub tab under Wireless > Wireless Security...
Change the Wireless security mode to WPA, For Encryption, select TKIP...For Passphrase input your desired WPA Key.

OTE : Passphrase should be more that 8 characters...

Click on Advanced Wireless Settings
Change the Beacon Interval to 75 >>Change the Fragmentation Threshold to 2304, Change the RTS Threshold to 2304 >>Click on "Save Settings"...
Now see if you can locate your Wireless Network and attempt to connect...

cwbills

Thanks!  I will try when I get home.  With the baby monitor on, the wifi speed is ridiculous-slow.  With the monitor off, it goes back up to my cable speeds on Comcast.

The baby monitor customer support is non-existent.  Might have to bag it and get something on the 900MHz spectrum.

cwbills

Got rid of the 2.4GHz monitor because the customer service with SummerInfant.com is unbelievably inept.

I changed to a 900MHz monitor and we'll see how it goes.

houghtelling50

I took oook's advice although I modified the frequency.

Try to do the following settings on your router...

Under Wireless tab :

- Network Mode --> mixed

- Provide a unique name in the Wireless Network Name (SSID) box in order to differentiate your network from your neighbors network...

- Set the Radio Band to Standard-20MHz and change the Standard channel to 4-2.427GHz...Wireless SSID broadcast should be Enabled and then click on Save Settings...

I found on the Summer Infant website that their video monitors automatically use these three frequencies:

• Channel A: 2.410 GHz
  • Channel B: 2.441 GHz
  • Channel C: 2.468 GHz
Setting your wireless frequency to 2.427 GHz gives the biggest gap between used channels. If you have a cordless phone (or any other 2.4GHz device) this result may be different.

Happy Coding!
Jerod

khousley14

OK, this needs to be broken down for me.  Routers for dummies.  I am having the same problem with my monitor.  I am starting out with step 1 of the advice given and I can't figure where the wireless tab is.  Can someone help me a little more with this issue.

Thanks

Kellie

Irene7999

You can go to use the Digital Baby Monitors with encrypted frequency hopping tech: Frequency-hopping spread spectrum is a way of transmitting radio signals by rapidly changing a carrier from a lot of the frequency channels, using a pseudorandom sequence known to both of the transmitter and the receiver. The EFH (encrypted frequency hopping) based wireless technology is a good solution to solve interference troubles (the cordless phones, the mobile phone, the wireless routers and the microwave ovens) with the wireless baby monitors. It can offer the reliable video with the exceptional image quality and crisp audio.

okspam

I am having the exact same problem mentioned here. When I turn on my Summer Infant Best View Handheld Color Video Monitor it immediately kills my Linksys WiFi connection. I tried the advice given above and tested using every single one of the 11 possible channels. But in every case the WiFi signal was killed by the Summer Infant video monitor. I'm extremely disappointed that Summer Infant did not implement their monitor so that it uses just one channel but somehow manages to interfere with all 11 channels. I called their customer support and they were already aware of this problem and quickly advised me that my only option is to return the monitor to the store. They said that this problem affects all Summer Infant monitors and there is nothing they could do about it since the 2.4Ghz frequency range is all that Summer Infant is allowed to use for their monitors.

beagle_jbl

Turn off mixed mode and run in G-only mode.  I think you'll find it makes a big difference.