Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
ppc
ppc

Linksys Wireless Router Slowing Down Internet

[ Edited ]
Hi, I currently have Optimum Online boost through cablevision. I noticed I wasn't getting speeds anywhere near what Optimum stated my plan includes so I called them up. After troubleshooting they asked me to connect the cable modem directly into my laptop(bypassing the router) and run a speed test and then do the same speed test when accessing internet over the wireless router. The results of this showed that the wireless router was significantly slowing down my internet connection. I currently have a Linksys WRT54G V6 with firmware: v1.00.7, Feb. 16, 2006. Anyone have any ideas what in the router is slowing me down. FYI I am very close to the wireless router(excellent connection) with no interference around(my laptop and a dekstop are the only thing connected to the router) and I have tested this on multiple laptops wirelessly and it all shows that something in the router is slowing this down. MAC Filtering is disabled and the encryption is WPA - Personal AES-CCMP. Thanks! Hope someone can help. ppc

Message Edited by ppc on 06-28-2007 09:24 PM
SinInSpira

Re: Linksys Wireless Router Slowing Down Internet

jongould

PC
I have the same problem. Did u resolve it?
ppc
ppc

nope not yet - I tried to upgrade firmware but I have the same problem...I even tried some other ppls suggestions in other threads changing some technical wireless settings such as the beacon interval but i still have the same problem.

PLEASE HELP!
ppc
ppc

Anyone else have any ideas?
jongould

Went to officemax, bought new linksys router with software version 4.0 or better (as recommended by optimum) and all is well. I'm getting full speed nicely. HTH
ppc
ppc

Can you be more specific?

What do you mean by "software version 4.0"?

Also - you bought a new WRT54G?

Thanks
jongould

It is a linksys WRT300N, off the shelf, no software updates applied. Worked right out of the box, about $150. The software reference was from Optimum tech support. However, we didn't have to do anything. HTH