Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Chinner

Linksys e2000 Xbox live NAT?

I just purchased the Linksys e2000 router and when I go to play anything on xbox live it has NAT problems.  What can I do to get an open NAT, also there are two xbox 360's hooked up on this same router.

I need to get an open NAT? 

Do I need to port forward/trigger anything?

wewhitt

Re: Linksys e2000 Xbox live NAT?

[ Edited ]

The first thing to try is port forwarding for your XBOX 360's, which can be done in the router’s applications and gaming - single port forwarding area ... 

The ports that Microsoft recommends to be open are:

• 88 UDP
  • 3074 UDP
  • 3074 TCP
I would use the XBOX 360 network settings to allow you to give each console a static ip address within your range and single port forward to each one. I recommend that you test your XBOX Live connection again after each port you open ... as you may not need to do all three of these ports. Also, I'm not sure if your router has a UPnP selection ... make sure it is turned off. I think by default it may be turned on.

You can follow the instructions on this post here - these are very good as well ... 

http://homecommunity.cisco.com/t5/Wireless-Routers/Open-NAT-xbox-live-problems/td-p/337375

The worse case scenario ... will only work for one of the XBOX's ... and I've seen it done with no issue, but it makes my skin crawl. The XBOX 360 network settings allow you to give your console a static ip address. In this case, select something within your IP range. There is a feature called “DMZ” listed under applications and gaming usually. It is here that it will allow you to select one local ip address to be placed outside of the NAT settings of the rest of the network. Please note that I only recommend this feature for your XBOX 360, never use it for a PC IP address unless you want to be left open to hacking attacks. Once you have applied these changes, I recommend that you restart your router (and possibly your XBOX 360) before testing your connection again.

Hope that helps,

Bill

Chinner

I have tried the steps you have provided, also the steps that linksys chat provided and I still get either a strict or moderate NAT

wewhitt

Hmmm .. I did find this - maybe there is something in here that we didn't cover ... let us know if you have tried this or if it fixes everything.

http://support.xbox.com/support/en/us/nxe/kb.aspx?id=979000&lcid=1033

Bill

Chinner

I have done all of those steps also

wewhitt

Heres a crazy question - did you completely remove one of the XBox's to see if the symptoms change? 

Have both XBox's been plugged in the whole time?

Chinner

I have been talking to linksys chat support and they have fixed the NAT problem for my xbox, I had to disable UPnP, set the MTU to 1365, and port range trigger 88 and 3074

the problem is, is only one xbox can have an open nat and the other has either strict or moderate

how can i fix this?

wewhitt

I noticed I told you to turn that UPnP to on ... whooppsss ... I'm sorry for that. The only thing that comes to mind is to open the same range for the IP address that is the other XBox. Here is a pretty good tutorial on YouTube that I thought was pretty cool.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xYUAL2bUGTc&feature=related

What works for one should be the same for the other I would assume.

wewhitt

Another thing that I thought of - have you tried using your Linksys as a switch instead of a router. Put the internet connection into output port 1 and the rest of the devices into 2-4. Can give that a try maybe.

Chinner

If I were to use the router as a switch and put the main internet cable into one of the ports instead of the internet port, how would i get internet on my computer?