Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Maxter

Linksys router WRT54G V5 - Unable to access router setting 192.168.1.1

[ Edited ]
Help needed. I bought Linksys router WRT54G V5 and modem AM300. When i try to access router setting page from 192.168.1.1, it only display modem login page. How can i solve this problem?

Message Edited by Maxter on 02-23-200709:45 PM

Expert
Expert

Re: Linksys router WRT54G V5 - Unable to access router setting 192.168.1.1

First: make sure to configure the modem into "bridge" mode. In bridge mode it basically works like a normal DSL modem. Go to the modem configuration page and make the necessary changes there.

Then make sure you have everything connected correctly:

* the ethernet port on the modem connects to the internet port of the router
* the computer is connected to a LAN port of the router.
* the modem is not connected to your computer through USB!

With the modem in bridge mode and correct wiring the router should be accessible. You have to configure the WRT for PPPoE on http://192.168.1.1/
Maxter

hi gv, thanks for the info :smileyhappy:
Expert
Expert

Put the modem into "Bridged Mode Only". After you did that you must setup PPPoE on the router with your username and password supplied by the ISP.

The repeat the wiring:

* Your phone line connects (through the splitter) to the modem.
* The ethernet port of the modem connects to the internet port of the router.
* The computer connects to a numbered LAN port of the router.

The modem must not be connected to any other device through the USB port. Your computer must also not be connected to the ethernet port of the modem. The router connects to the internet and shares the internet connection with all computers connected to the router.
Maxter

I've changed the modem setting to "Bridged Mode Only" and its wiring to the router-internet connection disconnected at this moment. When i tried to configure router from http://192.168.1.1/, the browser still displays setup for modem.

But when i use PPoE, everything works fine- my pc and notebook connected to the internet.

What should i do now to secure my wireless connection and can i use PPoE instead of Bridged Mode Only ?
Expert
Expert

Where do you use PPPoE? On the router or the modem? It is supposed to be setup on the router with the modem in bridge mode. Only then the router is actually directly connected to the internet.

In case the modem setup page shows up even when you have everything wired correctly and the modem is in bridge mode I would suggest you ask in the modem/gateway forum how to setup the AM300 correctly in bridge mode so that you are able to use the WRT as internet gateway.

To secure the wireless connection go to http://192.168.1.1/ (of the router)

- change the password on the "Administration" tab
- change the wireless network name (SSID) from "linksys" to something unique on the Wireless tab
- enable WPA2 Personal on the Wireless Security tab and enter a strong passphrase.
Maxter

I use it on the modem because i'm unable to open http://192.168.1.1/ (router setup page). 

I'll further my question to modem/gateway forum.

Thanks again for your help.
Expert
Expert

If you are unable to open the router web utility with the modem connected then try to open it without the modem. Just connect the router to a computer. Nothing else. The computer should get an IP address from the router and you should be able to open the settings.

If not, check the ip configuration on the computer. Open a command prompt window ("Run..." and then enter "cmd" ) and enter "ipconfig /all". Look for the "Local Area Connection" and make sure you have DHCP active and the IP address is in 192.168.1.100-149. The gateway address would be the IP address of the router. If in doubt, copy the output of ipconfig into your next post. (right-click into the window to mark & copy).
Maxter

Here is the result from command prompt window

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:
       Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
       Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
       IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.100.101

Now, i'm able to open router setting page from http://192.168.100.1. My internet connection works when i set Internet Connection Type on router to Automatic Configuration -DHCP and on the modem to PPPoE.

When i reverse the setting above (router to PPPoE and modem to Bridged Mode Only), it's disconnected. 
Expert
Expert

Your router is running at 192.168.100.1. Did you change it to this address. The default address is 192.168.1.1.

If you run PPPoE on the modem and DHCP on the router you run two routers chained. As long as it works for you it is O.K. to run it. You must be aware of this setup, however, when you need special services. For instance port forwardings must be setup on the modem and router in this case. A Dynamic DNS service must be setup on the modem and not the router. Bandwitdh may also suffer a bit because you are running through two routers and two network address translations. That's why it is usally better to use only one router (instead of two at the moment: your modem running as router as well as the WRT as router).

I would recommend to use the PPPoE on the router and the modem in bridge mode. If you cannot get it running this way (with the help from someone in the modem forum perhaps) then you could also ask the ISP. Maybe they register the hardware MAC address of the device connected and don't accept connections from other devices. You could try the MAC clone function on the WRT to clone the MAC address of the modem. Maybe then the WRT is able to connect with PPPoE through the bridged modem.

Could you check the status page on the WRT when you have set it up for PPPoE? There should be a connect button. Press it and look what error message you get. This may reveal what the problem is.

An alternative might be to use your modem as modem/router and setup the WRT as access point. You could follow the steps in this post. The modem/router would be the first router and the WRT is the second. With this setup you have only one operating router (your modem/router) instead of two making administration easier. But again, this is not necessary if everything works and you are happy as it is. The most important thing is that you have your broadband internet connection up and running.