Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
FNicodem

Linksys router disconnecting frequently

I have a Linksys Wireless-G router (WRT54GS).  It's installed and working -- and, for the most part, seems to work flawlessly, with one exception.  Every couple of hours (and the actual time varies), it simply disconnects.  I might be in the middle of downloading a file, or browsing the Web...  or not even working on the system at all.  But without any warning, I lose my connection.  The only response I've found to work is to reboot (power-cycle) the router.  This seems to work every time.

However, this is becoming quite a pain to have to do this every hour.  (And, on rare occasions, it may even be 15 minutes or less.)  The "feed" from my provider seems to be OK, and I've had another router on this same cable modem line for the past three years.  Is there something in my Configuration that I need to change?  What would cause this frequent disconnect?

There are no error messages (at least, none that are visible).  Are there any log files that I can check, or any other information I can gather?  How can I identify what's happening, and/or fix the problem?
FNicodem

Re: Linksys router disconnecting frequently

I've noticed other threads in this forum that seem to be discussing the same problem.  FWIW, I'm running off of a cable modem (not DSL).  And I have tried one of the suggestions in another thread -- namely, to reduce MTU to 1423.  (It was originally set to Auto.)  What is the difference?  What does this do?  Why would I want to manually select an MTU value, rather than letting it take care of itself?
toomanydonuts

[ Edited ]
Some cable internet providers look at the MAC address of the device that is connecting to their system.  If they don't recognize the MAC address as the one that they have registered to your account, they kick you off.  This usually happens within one hour of connecting.

It sounds like the WRT54GS recently replaced your old router.  I assume that the old router did not have this problem of dropped lines.

To fix the problem, use "MAC address cloning", and change the MAC address of the WRT54GS to the MAC address of your old router.  You cannot actually "clone" an address from one router to another router (you can only clone from the computer to the router), so you will need to enter the MAC address manually into your WRT54GS, then click "Save Settings".

Note: I don't think that you will need to "Enable" MAC address cloning to do this, but you might need to.  Just don't click on the button that says "Clone my PC's MAC", or else you will again get a MAC address that is not accepted by your ISP.

The alternative to cloning the MAC address from your old router is to contact your ISP and tell them you have new equipment and that you want to register your new MAC address for service.  In this case, give them the true MAC address of the WRT54GS.  This way, if you ever reset the router to factory defaults, this problem will not recur.

Hope this helps.

Message Edited by toomanydonuts on 02-03-200701:24 AM

FNicodem

It doesn't appear that my provider is checking MAC addresses.  However, all day today I'm seeing yet another problem.

Every time I reboot my laptop, the wireless connection will NOT be made automatically.  Even when I refresh the list of wireless connections, and manually try to connect to it, the only thing that happens is that it goes into the "Acquiring" phase for a long time...  and then just gives us, with no connection.

At that point, the ONLY thing I've found that helps is to power-cycle the router, wait several minutes, and then do a Manual "Connect" -- and that works.  Even though it's set for Automatic, it won't do it.

Oh, and each and every time it continues to ask me for my WPA key.  It never did that before; it recogized that I had already entered it, and automatically connected.  Every time I booted.  Now, suddenly, no more.

Is there something about Wireless Zero Configuration, or something like that, which needs to be changed?
parker

Hey there. I had the same exact problem.

You can fix it by doing one of these two options:

A) Use a USB cable to connect the modem.
B) Go wireless

Try it. It will work.
WTF
WTF

First off I'd like to say that I'm very sorry to hear that you bought a wrt54gs. I'm "running" a v6 and have been having the same problems, nothing I've read on the forums or help I've gotten form the techies has worked. This seems to be a very common problems with Linksys devices. Best solution for me is to buy another router from ANY other company. I will never ever ever buy anything that says Linksys on it again.

If you had done research before buying a version 6 you would have known to stay away from it.  I have a WRT54Gv3 and a WRT54GL that are working flawlessly.  The GL is going on little over 60 days since last config change.  There is plenty of blogs, reviews and such that advise people to stay away from versions 5, 6 and 7.
Steve Hollasch

I have a WRT54GS v6 with the latest firmware, and am suffering from the same problems. This is a rather fundamental issue, as I cannot even ping 192.168.1.1 after it happens (via my wired connection). That rules out a whole load of factors and seems to pretty strongly implicate the router itself (firmware or hardware).

Unfortunately, it looks like I'm going to have to try the DD-WRT route if I can't find a simple fix. Of course, my router started doing this several months ago and is something like 18 months old now, so I don't think I can locate the receipt.
Geotrekr

I had a BEF11SW or whatever it was called that kept doing this to the point of aggravation at least every 24 hours, you could count on it. I have since switched service providers, and bought a WRV54G Firmware Version: 2.36 that was a vast improvement over the old one, and seemed to work flawlessly for quite a while. Now, much to my chagrin, this one's starting to act up too.

The main computer is hooked up wired, all the laptops are wireless. Sometimes the internet on the main will actually still be working, but the connection will be dead (x'd out on the symbol in the taskbar). When you refresh the connections, it will still see it, but won't be able to connect wirelessly. Other times the connection on the main will also be down, at which point you cannot even get to it through 192.168.1.1. The only option is to turn it off and turn it back on.

I have tried looking to see if there were any settings that were wrong, if it was the ISP's connection, or what was going on. Nothing seems to help, and the more I look, the more it seems it's the product itself...
JWarren300

I have the same problem.  It's actually worse the more people are connected to the router.