eviluchiha

Linksys router not connecting to computer

I've been having a problem for quite a while now. A year and a half ago when we got a new computer and internet, we decided to go wireless by using linksys. Everything worked until a couple week after. The ethernet light on our DSL modem box wasnt on. We tried to do everything, but the linksys router wouldnt connect. We got a couple of people to check it out, with no luck.
        A couple of days ago I thought I managed to fix it. It connected and everything was working fine. When I returned home today, the same problem occured. The linksys wire wasnt connecting. If we took the DSL modem wire and connect directly to the computer and not the linksys, then everything works fine. I have confirmed that it is not the wire that is at fault.

Could someone please give me some advice on how ti fix this problem. All help is appreciated. Thank you.
Badboy

Re: Linksys router not connecting to computer

Hi,
      Ethernet ports on the router r gone faulty ...u will need to replace the router.

check first if your computer is getting a valid ip address from the router ex.192.168.x.x if it is then maybe your router has lost the connection from the modem and needs to be reconfigured
eviluchiha

I don't think the router is faulty. It was working before. And i amm  sorry, but I am new at this. How do I check the IP adress on my comp?

Thanks again
FuzzLark

If you want to check the IP address of your computer,  make sure you use the wired PC.

XP: click start>>run type cmd and hit enter
        type ipconfig and hit enter
eviluchiha

Ok, here is what I got.
I got Connection-specific DNS Suffix...domain_not set. invalid
IP Adress........76.XXX.XX.XXX
Subnet mask.........XXX.XXX.XXX.0
Default Gateway......76.XXX.XX.XXX

So is something wrong? I use internet explorer and I have DSL.
FuzzLark

The IP address is not what the router is giving by default. Make sure that the wired computer is connecting to the router only on one of the numbered ports. Check again for your IP.
eviluchiha

[ Edited ]
Are you saying I should connect the computer wire into one of the numbered ports and not internet port?

Becuase either way, it doesnt work. Ive tried that. But if it is what you mean, i'll try it again. Please be a bit more specific.

Message Edited by eviluchiha on 04-18-2008 02:46 PM
FuzzLark

Yes. The internet port is for the modem. What is the model number of your router?
eviluchiha

[ Edited ]
It is a WRT54G. By the way, does it matter which number port it goes in?

Message Edited by eviluchiha on 04-18-2008 02:50 PM