TRIII

Losing Internet connection while computer is idle

My problem is that I lose the connection with the internet after the computer has been idle for a few hours. I have connected the modem directly to the desktop computer without any problem so I suspected the router. Since it was a few years old, and after 4 or 5 failed attempts at fixing the problem using the paid support, I figured I might as well buy a new router. Unfortunately, it did not fix the problem. I called tech support the other day who did a reconfiguration and set up on the new router, but that did not work either. I now have had this problem with both a WRT 54G and a WRT160 with both a DSL connection and now with a high speed cable connection. My OS is Vista. Any solutions would be greatly appreciated.
notorious87

Re: Losing Internet connection while computer is idle

Assuming that you are using PPPoE DSL...

Login to your router at 192.168.1.1
You should be on the "Setup" tab, "Basic Setup" subtab.
Near the top of the page, near the PPPoE setting, you should see
"Keep alive redial period"
Check the circle in front of this line, and insert how many seconds.  (note:  if you get cut off every 10 minutes, redial every 9 minutes = 540 seconds).
Click the "Save settings" button and wait (3-60 seconds) for the screen to refresh.
ridcully

Open the router setup page and Under the Setup tab,reduce the MTU value to 1350 and click on save settings..Power cycle the router and check..
TRIII

Thanks for the reply. I attempted the suggested fix, but it did not work. I find it strange that it does not lose the internet connection while I am working on the computer. I also find it strange that my problem is the same with two different routers and two different connections, dsl and cable. It is not an ethernet cable problem since when the modem is directly connected to the desktop, the connection is not lost after idling overnight.