kevindunk

Media Server on EA4500

Hello everyone...I just setup the Linksys EA4500 router on my computer and I am able to hook up to the internet on my computer and on my Logitech Revue.  How do I access the media server?  It is not showing up on the Logitech Revue or my Samsung TV?  Thanks in advance for your help!!

Corleone

Re: Media Server on EA4500

The Cisco Connect software comes with the Linksys Wireless-N (E - Series) routers that let you manage your network easier. For the setup process, you need to perform the following:

i.   Verify that there is an active Internet connection between the computer and modem

ii. Setting up the router using Cisco Connect

QUICK TIPS:

• The router’s power adapter needs to be plugged to your router and into an available power outlet.

• If using a wired connection, the first Ethernet cable needs to be plugged to the computer’s LAN port into any of the router’s blue numbered Ethernet ports.

• The second Ethernet cable should be plugged to the modem’s Internet port and the other end into the router’s yellow Internet port.

• Ensure that you have no firewall enabled that may prevent the router from being detected.

Here is the link which will guide you on how to configure the wireless security settings of your Linksys Wireless-N Router using Cisco Connect: http://www6.nohold.net/Cisco2/ukp.aspx?vw=1&docid=16bf18ddbe814e1dbfef13d3e97ba662_Configuring_the_W...

To set up an FTP server behind a Linksys router, you must do the following:

To set up an FTP server behind a Linksys router, you must do the following:

i.   Identifying the IP Address of the FTP server

•    Setting up Static IP on the server

•    Setting up DHCP Reservation on the router

ii.  Identifying the WAN IP Address of your router

•    Obtain a Static WAN IP from your ISP

•    Setting up a Domain Name Server (DNS)

iii. Setting up FTP port forwarding on a Linksys router

Here is the link for the same: http://www6.nohold.net/Cisco2/ukp.aspx?vw=1&docid=52ea250f8d974d8fa72a02fdb3773cd3_64.xml&pid=80&res...

kevindunk

I didn't realize you had to hook up the external drive to the router in order for the media server to show up on my tv.  I did that and the media server does show up on my tv but it is not showing all of the folders on the drive.  I have the share entire partition box checked but it is not showing all of them.  Also the streaming is very slow worse then my old router!!!  The reason I bought this was because it was supposed to be so fast and streaming was supposed to be very good.  But when I try to stream a video it will continually start and stop....very frustrating!!!  The speed test shows a download speed of 30 Mbps.

Corleone

Try the following combination of settings:-

A] With the help of Cisco Connect Software (if at all you have installed the router with the help of this software)

1] Open the software and go to the option which says "Router Settings"

2] Then click on the option which says "Advanced Settings" which will take you to the router's configuration page.

3] Then go to the Wireless tab, keep network mode as mixed,

For Channel Settings of 2.4 GHz you can make Channel Width to 20 MHz only and Channel to 6, 9, 11..

For Channel Settings of 5 GHz you can make Channel Width to 20 MHz only and Channel to 40 or 161...

4] Lower the MTU (Maximum Transmission Unit) from 1500 to 1400 or less (usually found on your routers main/ basic setup page). Here is the link for determining and setting up the correct MTU size: http://www6.nohold.net/Cisco2/ukp.aspx?vw=1&docid=fbf8e8564632422eaa8ea80bf9dcba64_386.xml&pid=80&re...

B] If you haven't installed Cisco Connect then you can log on to the router's user interface using it's default IP address in the browser which is 192.168.1.1 and type in 'admin' as the password leaving the user name field blank. This will take you to the router's web interface and then follow steps as mentioned above to make the changes.

kevindunk

I changed the settings as you described and it did notseem to make much of a change.  Why can't I access all of my files? I plugged my hard drive into the back of the router but I can only access a few of the folders. I have the share entire partition box checked. When I use Serviio I can access everything but when using the router DLNA server I can't. One of the main reasons I bought this router was because of he built in Media Server so I wouldn't have to use Serviio any longer.  Also how can I hide a particular folder? WHen the hard drive was hooked to the computer I could go into properties and hide a folder by clicking the sharing tab.  When I hooked up the drive to the router that option is no longer there.  Thanks for all your help so far!!

jaymay

It's possible that the reason why you're not seeing some files on the tv is that it is just reading the media files stored on your hard drive. By the way, what are the contents of the folders that you can't see?

kevindunk

Actually I have a separate folder that is called Video that has all of my movies and video files in it and another called Music that has my music files in it but I can't even see the folder on the TV.

jaymay

Hi kevindunk! I came across with this thread earlier. Just check it out: http://homecommunity.cisco.com/t5/Wireless-Routers/E4200-v2-Twonky-Media-Server-Issue-Default-quot-m... .

Pocho310

the 8000 Limit Blows

is there any update on when this will be FIXED

What is the point of Cisco saying this router is DLNA Certified® Media Server - Automatically discover and play media across your network

When it has a limitation do they expect us to attached a 20gb HD on the router common CISCO FIX THIS!

Jake_2.0

The  linksys router uses the Twonky Media Server manage files and can be seen under network places once the UPnP media server is enabled. It has a hard-coded setting that consists of 8,000 files and it is not possible to modify or alter this setting. The twonky media server settings is embedded on the device firmware that is why it has file limitations. So as a workaround you can just map the drive to view all files but if you really want to to use twonky media server to view the media files then you can purchase a license for the twonky media software.