Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
jkwaterh

Moved Cable Modem to another room - no connection now

I moved my cable modem to a different room and cannot connect to the internet. The first internet light on the modem is on, the second blinks and the third doesn't come on. Shouldn't I be able to connect my cable modem to any cable connection in my house?
BEERMONSTER

Re: Moved Cable Modem to another room - no connection now

Cable connections are not normally left open as it causes issues with signal strength.  Check that this cable is connected to the main line coming in!  I suspect it isn't
jkwaterh

I did check the line and it is connected to the main line coming in in my basement.

I called my internet provider and they said there is probably a filter on the cable line and they will have to come and remove it.  Of course there is a fee.

peanuts

Hey try rebooting the pc & do a complete network power cycle...unplug the power cables from the modem & from the router & then plug in the power cable to the modem first once all the lights are solid green you could plug in the power cable to the router & check out it will definately work!!

Also if its a Cable connection try resetting the router reset button in such a way that power light is blinking on the router & then do a complete network power cycle.

Configuration for cable connection:-

Access the setup page of the router by launching an
Browser and type on the address bar, 192.168.1.1 and press enter. When
it prompts for the username and password, leave the username field
empty and provide password as "admin" (Without quotes)
click on ok.
On the main setup page the ""Internet Connection Type"" should be
on ""Obtain IP Automatically - DHCP ?. Click on the Save Settings
button.
Now click on the sub tab ""MAC address clone"".
- Click on enable
Click Clone & click save settings
Check WAN Ip on Status page of router ....
If getting Valid Ip .... try going online
If not ... power cycle for 4-5 minutes & then agian check the WAN Ip address .....

& it will definately be able to go Online!!!
jkwaterh

My ISP came today and took a filter off my cable line and I am hooked to the Internet now.  

Thanks for you help.