Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Accepted Solution

My Router is Blocking a Website

I have a Linksys E2500 wireless router. It seems to be blocking a website (evernote.com). I cannot access this site from any of the computers/ devices in our house, whether they be connected by ethernet or wireless.  However, when i move to a different network, I can connect to this site immediately from exactly the devices that do not connect in our house.

How can I determine how/if the router is somehow blocking this site? I have reset the router and upgraded the firmware. Same problem persists.  I see nothing in the router settings that would be blocking this site, and I have certainly done nothing intentional in the settings to block this. We used to be able to connect to this with no problems, but all of a sudden, we are blocked.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.

Expert

Re: My Router is Blocking a Website

Try lowering the MTU value to 1400 and try again.

Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately, it didn't solve the problem. Any other ideas?

Thanks again!

Expert

Bypass the router and connect the computer directly to the modem and try.

Turn off QOS that has problems on the E4200

Thanks. Good suggestions. I got it working, but I'm not completely sure what did the trick. I turned off QoS, but still no success.

Then, I connected a laptop directly to the modem via Ethernet, and the site in question (evernote.com) loaded instantaneously, so I knew that the problem had to be in the router. I should have done this initially.

After that, I had to reboot my network to get the various devices back on line since I had intercepted things at the source (modem). As I was about to post back to this thread that things were still not working, I decided to check the site one last time now that the network was back on line. Lo and behold, the site that wasn't working lit up like a Christmas tree.

So, I can't tell if it was the the MTU change, the QoS shutoff, or both that resolved the problem, but something fixed it. I had rebooted the network previously, so I doubt it that alone was what resolved it. Maybe somehow after changing the settings, the reboot was necessary. (note: I had rebooted the router by itself after making those changes, but that didn't resolve anything)

Thanks for everybody's help. The problem seems to be solved.

Your routers are not blocking a particular website. Your IP address is being blocked by the website you can't connect to. If you remove your router and can suddenly connect its because your modem is supporting IPv6 and your router is supporting IPv4. There is nothing wrong with the routers. You need to contact the people who own the website and they have to contact their hosting services to have the block on your IP address lifted.

The staff at Linksys and just about everywhere else is clueless about this. The other option is to get a totally new IP address from your ISP - lotsa luck there.

The saddest thing about the technology we use is that even the vendor support people don't understand it. When an IP address is blocked by a hosting service, the owner of the website is rarely ever aware of it. Hosting services can automatically block IP addresses and even their tech support is unaware of it.

All the nonsense people are telling you about what to do is just that - nonsense. When you are suddenly and inexplicitly blocked from just one website the problem is at the hosting service and only they can fix it unless you can get a new IP address.

The other thing about this is that often after a period of time - 1 to 2 weeks - the hosting service will usually just remove the block and you will be just as confused as when they put it in place.

Good Luck